We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on Solo Travel to Japan in June

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed on Solo Travel to Japan in June

Hey everyone

I have recently graduated and am able to travel in June this year. I have decided to go to Japan.

I will be traveling alone and it will be my first time.

I intend to go from early to mid June for 10-12 days. However still considering options and can go for more/less days. I would like to see and take in as much as I can. I am on a budget and will most likely be staying in Airbnb/Hostels on the trip. Very interested in the cuisine and I'm sure most of my spending will go towards that.

I would like to spend atleast 4-5 nights in Tokyo to explore. Places I would like to visit in Tokyo would be Akihabara, Shibuya Crossing, Ueno Park, Meiji Shrine and several other tourist locations.

I'd love to check out the night life too.

Can anyone kindly advise me as to a good area to stay in Tokyo for my adventures? :)

A location central to most tourist hot spots and areas I'd like to visit. The popular choice seems to be Shinjuku.

I would be looking at staying in Airbnb's and Hostels. Will consider Hotels if they're budget friendly.

Is the amount of time I've allocated to Tokyo sufficient?

For the next leg of the trip, I'd like to see one other city. Perhaps Osaka or Kyoto?

Open to suggestions. An area with lots to do and great food would be ideal.

How much should I budget for the trip? I intend to splurge mainly on food. My flights are covered so that wouldn't be an issue. I will be leaving from South Africa.

The other option I have is to travel to 2-3 countries in Europe but the Euro/Pound is significantly higher than the Rand at the moment. But if it would be a more budget friendly destination, I'd definitely consider it.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Akihabara
Akihabara
3,773 Reviews
Chiyoda, Japan
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Ueno Park
Ueno Park
4,563 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Europe Nagasaki
Hotel Europe Nagasaki
285 Reviews
Sasebo, Japan
Hotel Mume
Hotel Mume
#1 of 430 hotels in Kyoto
Shiraume
Shiraume
#2 of 430 hotels in Kyoto
Club Med Tomamu Hokkaido
Club Med Tomamu Hokkaido
#1 of 8 hotels in Shimukappu-mura
3 replies to this topic
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on Solo Travel to Japan in June

If trying to save money, one option is to arrive in Tokyo and then depart from Osaka. You can save more by taking an overnight bus from Tokyo, as it's cheaper than the shinkansen and also saves a night in a hotel/hostel. Not the most comfortable, but many students do it as the seats are made for sleeping.

http://willerexpress.com/en/

Much more information on the many pages of this website.

https://www.japan-guide.com

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on Solo Travel to Japan in June

Thanks for the advice! Didn't think of the overnight bus options. I'll look into them now. The JR Pass may not be worth it for me if it's just going to be two cities, but if I end up doing Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto then perhaps. Trying to finalize an itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
California
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on Solo Travel to Japan in June

No. Kyoto is very close to Osaka, and adding it as a destination will not be decisive factor for JR Pass calculation. It is the return to Tokyo that is important because the Pass is about long distance travel and not the relative short distance between Osaka and Kyoto. In addition, depending on where you stay in Osaka and what you want to see in Kyoto, you may find something other than JR to be most convenient.

Above all make sure you get an IC travel card, like SUICA, to facilitate local travel. Rechargeable. Not a discount pass but really convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Advice needed on Solo Travel to Japan in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted