We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

Gurgaon, Haryana...
12 posts
Save Topic
Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

Hello everyone.. Thanks to everyone for taking the timeout to read and respond ! I have two questions

1. I read that a round trip from Tokyo to Osaka (or Kyoto?) and back would make the JR pass worth it . However, we arrive in Tokyo and Fly out from Osaka (21 May onward) so am not sure if this is needed or not ?

We will be in Tokyo for 5 nights - Disney, City tour, Hakone day trip (with romance car), and some city stuff including watching Sumo (yay!)

then we go to Osaka - from there we do trips to Kyoto / Himeji / and Nara and a day universal studios

I am not sure if we need a JR pass? We are a family of 5 + 2 kids (although I don't think that matters)

2. We arrive Tokyo early morning 6:30 AM at Narita Airport. We are staying at Kieo Plaza and I called them to check reg early check in. The usual check in time is 3PM but they said 1PM can be done for free. However, for check-in around 9 AM they are essentially charging me one full night as they will have to block a room for the night. I do get that this is reasonable but wondering if there is a way out to this? We plan to go watch sumo the same day so will need to check in and freshen up before we leave post an early lunch

Thanks again everyone ; your suggestions are always so helpful !

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

1. >>needed or not<<

Not needed to save money if you are only going to the places cited so far, and as long as you are not returning to Tokyo (thus are flying out from KIX).

2. Keio Plaza is already offering an exceptional service for you on early check-in, and "no" most often means real "no" (the final answer with nothing negotiable anymore) in Japan. You can freshen up by taking shower at Narita Airport, or go to a day onsen place like Niwa no Yu in Toshimaen: https:/…niwa-no-yu

Edited: 09 May 2018, 20:04
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

Before or after flight, I sometimes take shower at Narita/Haneda airports: https:/…svc_37

Gurgaon, Haryana...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

Thanks a ton, this is very helpful to know..

In case I do not buy a JR pass.. I believe I should buy Suica Cards for each one of us .. to save on the trouble of buying tickets each time and as I read, this can be used at many other places as well..

But , I will still need a separate ticket for my travel from Tokyo to Osaka , right as Suica Card cannot be used here. Do I understand this correctly?

thanks

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,280 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

Yes, get a Suica card for Tokyo. Note - you won't be able to return Suica in Osaka. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

You can pay for the Shinkansen tickets with a credit card.

California
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

A 1300 check in will give you plenty of time to freshen up and get to the important matches of the day at the sumo tournament.

Even if you cannot return the SUICA in the Kansai, you can whittle the balance down in convenience stores and keep it for the next time or loan to friend.

Gurgaon, Haryana...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka

Thank you so much !

Reply to: Do I need a JR Pass? Tokyo and Osaka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted