We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

bobby999jen
6 posts
Save Topic
Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

Question in the title really :)

Had a few yakiniku but feel like a nice big wagyu steak rather than little pieces and cooked by an expert rather than me!

Currently in Kyoto. Seem some that look like westerner restaurants that may do it but rather Japanese.

Thanks!

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from USD 141.10*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from USD 65.60*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from USD 54.60*
12 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

I had a large steak in Takayama,and it was a Japanese place, I think, not western. so it seems so but I don't know about Kyoto.

California
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

Yakiniku and Korean beef dishes like bulgogi are very close and involve grilling.

i have been to steak houses that serve cuts of steak but not steak cut up as in the case of yakiniku, but the portions will be smaller than in U.S. Want a big steak? Go to Texas.

Level Contributor
3,612 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

You can search for "和牛" "ステーキ" in Kyoto on Google Map. I don't eat much beef myself, so I don't have a personal recommendation, but there is a budget chain resto by the name Ikinari Steak which is popular among the younger generation.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 16:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

Ikinari steak is great (well I love it). The steaks are big and the lunch sets are a really good deal. There no Wagyu though.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

teppanyaki (the chef prepares your meal in front of you on a steel plate) will be more steak-style but they often slice it for you. wagyu, as you know, is much fattier so eating large quantities of it can be difficult on the stomach. if you aren't familiar with amounts in grams, check the conversion to the units you are familiar with. lunch sets will be cheaper than going for dinner because lunch sets may use cheaper cuts. i'm not sure about kyoto, but tokyo has american steak chains like wolfgangs, mortons, lawrys and some more local places. if you google steakhouse kyoto, there are some results.

Level Contributor
3,612 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

Forgot to mention Shokudoen, which is a known old name in and around Osaka and the Kansai Region for teppanyaki and yakiniku: https://www.syokudoen.co.jp/en-ch-menu.html

Japan
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

Two points:

1: the heavily marbled (fatty) japanese style you do not need a "big" steak. 100g is enough

2: for good, large steaks, go somewhere that sells USA or Austrailan lean beef steak.

Ikinari is a good option. Check the "burger" option for a good feed of beef.

If you inisit on a 300g+ wagyu at 6 yen (or more) per gram, than be prepared for the price that goes with it (USD200 or there abouts). Personally, I would find the high fat content and greasy tatse too much (and other Japanese poeple on this forum have stated similar.) The feedback I get from western guests is that the aussie or US beef is more to their liking in larger quantities. For smaller/modest servings they enjoy the tase of the A-5 quality Japanese beef.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,706 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

To illustrate JCT's point above, I much prefer A3 or similar marbling overall because it's not as heavy.

I once at a somewhat small portion of a well-marbled Hida steak at Takayama, probably no more than 150g (around 5oz). It was way too greasy that I didn't find it too enjoyable.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,929 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

We went to 1596

http://proceed-kyoto.com/1596/menu/

The top floor is western style 1596 and lower floor Japanese style Toku.

http://proceed-kyoto.com/toku/menu/

Singapore
Level Contributor
270 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku

One more vote for Ikinari Steak. Tried it 4 days ago for the first time and I found it delicious and wallet-friendly. The steaks start from 200g, up to your preference and appetite.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 00:38
Reply to: Do japanese have big steak or only yakiniku
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted