We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu

Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu

Hi,

We are spending three weeks in Japan in October and I am trying to decide where to break the train journey between Nikko and Beppu. This will be our fourth family trip to Japan and we are set with starting in Tokyo and then will have 3 nights in Nikko. We then have 2 free nights to spend traveling to Beppu via train (we are also visiting Fukuoka after Beppu). We are considering stopping in Kobe or Himeji for the 2 nights but I was wondering if there are other gems along the route where we might be better stopping? We do want to visit Himeji castle as we had to cancel our planned visit last year due to one of us being ill on the day. We spent 10 days last year in Kyoto and really enjoyed it but I think we are looking for somewhere new to us (we have also spent time in Osaka previously). We enjoy history, castles, a bit of nature, temples and shrines more than bustling city life and we are 2 adults traveling with 3 children 7-14 years old. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Nikko
Nikko
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
Beppu
Beppu
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Fukuoka
Fukuoka
Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Himeji Castle
Himeji Castle
4,258 Reviews
Himeji, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,226 Reviews
from USD 143.10*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
111 Reviews
from USD 55.40*
USD 73.90
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
954 Reviews
from USD 129.30*
5 replies to this topic
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu

You could spend a night in Kobe, then next go to Himeji. After Himeji, head to Kurashiki and spend night in Okayama. Then, on to Kyushu. Or second night in Hiroshima.

Another idea, travel via the island of Shikoku. Then, take the ferry from Shikoku to Beppu. Very scenic, some nice castles to see, a bit out of ordinary tourist route, but very accessible.

https://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1107.html

(Three nights in Nikko seems like too many.)

Edited: 09 May 2018, 18:05
Mentioned in this post
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Kurashiki
Kurashiki
Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Okayama
Okayama
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Beppu
Beppu
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Nikko
Nikko
Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu

Thanks nishin91, I hadn't thought of staying in Okayama for a night, that's something to look in to. We spent some time in Hiroshima last year so we probably won't go back again just yet, although we did really enjoy our stay there. I will also look in to Shikoku, it sounds interesting so I'll see if we can make it work.

Btw we are heading up to Nikko in the afternoon then leaving early morning on our last day so we really only have 2 full days to spend in Nikko so I think that will be good for us- a day for the town and maybe lake, plus a day for Edo Wonderland and Tobu World Square for the kids

Mentioned in this post
Okayama
Okayama
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Nikko
Nikko
Tobu World Square
Tobu World Square
490 Reviews
Nikko, Japan
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu

From Okayama to Beppu will take some time. On the other hand, you could take the ferry from the Kyushu end of Shikoku to Beppu towards the end of a day, which seems a bit more efficient to me. Plus, Shikoku has some cool castles (Matsuyama, Imabari), but not nearly as crowded as the typical tourist sites on Honshu.

Mentioned in this post
Okayama
Okayama
Beppu
Beppu
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Matsuyama
Matsuyama
Ehime Prefecture, Japan
Imabari
Imabari
Ehime Prefecture, Japan
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu

I like the idea of going via Shikoku via Kurashiki/Okayama, Takamatsu, Matsuyama, and Ozu.

Apart from that leg, consider going to Matsumoto and Takayama, if you haven't been to those places in your past visits. I normally suggest going to Kusatsu Onsen also, as I am a deep onsen fan, but you are going to Beppu and doing two grand onsen towns might be an overkill.

https://www.kusatsu-onsen.ne.jp/guide/en/

Mentioned in this post
Kurashiki
Kurashiki
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Matsuyama
Matsuyama
Ehime Prefecture, Japan
Ozu
Ozu
Ehime Prefecture, Japan
Matsumoto
Matsumoto
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Kusatsu Onsen
Kusatsu Onsen
320 Reviews
Kusatsu-machi, Japan
Beppu
Beppu
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu

Thank you for your advice, I think we will decide between Okayama and Shihoku, I'm grateful to have both of you inputs on this.

ShibalnuGuide we spent time in Takayama last December and really loved it, it was my children's first snow experience so it was perfect for them (we didn't want to ski, just a bit of snow play).

Mentioned in this post
Okayama
Okayama
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: 2 night stop between Nikko and Beppu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted