We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Question

3 posts
Save Topic
Visa Question

Recently I was offered an unpaid internship in Osaka, Japan. I also have a study abroad in Japan starting in early Sept. A 90 day tourist visa will stretch the duration of my internship and to the beginning of my student visa (Sept 7 or 8).

Am I allowed to go from a 90 day Japanese tourist visa straight into a student one?

(On a related note, to get the US tourist visa you need to have a return flight within 90 days but I won’t because I’m staying on with my student visa. So that’s confusing too.)

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Question

For all visa details, I think it's better to contact the Embassy of Japan. We are not responsible authorities on the issue.

Unpaid intern for a foreigner in exchange for a visa sounds a bit fishy though. In what terms a visa will be arranged? What sort of intern would this be? It is your personal issue, but please be careful, as it sounds like some sort of underground trap; take care and don't be exploited.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 14:12
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Question

It’s all through my Japanese prof so I’m not worried about it being fishy. It does sound a bit sketch without the background though. XD

The reason that my school doesn’t know the answer is because my case is unique. Usually students go over for a couple months in the summer on a tourist visa (which you apply for when you arrive in Japan) and then return to the US. But because I already have a study abroad planned for the fall, I’d like to just stay stay afterward. The dates for my tourist visa and student visa will line up (and maybe even overlap) and I’m just worried that it’s not allowed for me to have two different visas back to back like that.

Thanks for the advise. I guess I’ll have to call the embassy... I don’t really like taking on the phone but oh well.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 19:16
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Question

The visa isn’t in exchange for anything. Just a normal tourist visa. And they aren’t asking for any money as a deposit along with the fact it’s theoihh my school. I’m not worried.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 19:18
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Question

I wish you good luck. Please take care.

I think the Embassy staff should be the single most reliable resource on this issue.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 19:29
Reply to: Visa Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted