We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

Hi,

I will take Nagoya-takayama-shirakawa-kanazawa-kyoto 4days only

I plan to buy the pass but find out the pass c't reserve bus and also c't reserve train until exchange the voucher in japan.

I will go on July and only stay 2 days Tokyo, I just worry if I reserve seat after arrive japan, the express wide view train will fully booked.

If I not buy the pass, do I need to pay a big amount different (3 peoples) for our trip?

how to secure the express wide view seat?

Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
8 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

c't = can not

Level Contributor
3,271 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

I think you should go with this pass. If you ever cannot book for Ltd Exp Hida between Nagoya and Takayama, if you line up at the designated area of the platform for the non-reserved seats section of the train perhaps 15 min before departure while you take turns in buying snacks or lunch, you'd get seats, as Nagoya is the departing station (the same thing can be said about Ltd Exp Thunderbird from Kanazawa to Kyoto).

The rather tricky part is actually the bus between Takayama and Kanazawa with Shirakawago in between - although I think it'd not too difficult as long as you book a day or two in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hida
Hida
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Kanazawa
Kanazawa
Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Shirakawago
Hotel Shirakawago
56 Reviews
Shinjuku, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,814 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

The Wide View Hida trains are really busy these days. The last time I took it from Nagoya to Takayama, I saw a whole lot of people standing in unreserved and ordinary reserved cars. The Green Car I was in was only half full and the attendant was busy turning away the passengers who had no Green ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Hida
Hida
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

Thanks for your update; things must have changed in recent years...

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,814 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

Lots more foreign tourists for sure these days. Nara was just mobbed last month on a normal Monday. I've never seen Nara that busy and as you may well know I'm from Nara and I go back there often. I don't like it, and it's just going to get worse with the Olympics, sigh.

Mentioned in this post
Nara
Nara
Nara Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,906 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

Definitely get the pass. Exchange for the pass ASAP upon arrival and reserve seats for your particular train. If you reserve a couple of days in advance, you should have no problem getting a reserved seat. The last time I took Hida Express, I changed my reservation about 36 hours before my train's departure. There were plenty of seats available. By the time I actually boarded the train, it was standing room only as Shibuyakko said.

Mentioned in this post
Hida
Hida
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

thanks.

so should I buy the pass and try to reserve seat upon arrive japan, if no seat, can I upgrade to green car with the pass to get chance?

if not buy the pass, where can I buy and reserve the express wide view before go Japan? Hyderdia seems only for checking not for selling ticket for train.

but also worry for the bus reserve because people can reserve online one month before.

please help.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,906 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass

I do not believe you can upgrade. I am pretty sure that you will be able to reserve ordinary class seats though as long as you do so a couple days in advance. In fact, a quick look at today's Hida Express reservation status via JR Cyberstation (Japanese site) shows wide open availability. On Saturday, only the 10:48am train has tight availability. The rest have plenty of seats at this point.

For the Nohi bus, you need to call to reserve in advance. The staff will speak enough English to understand. Just use short phrases and speak slowly if necessary. You will be given a reservation number. Once you get to the bus depot (even just a few minutes before departure), give the number and show your pass to the staff at the counter to get "free" tickets. You can also get all your reserved tickets issued at that point. See link below for timetable and phone number to call:

https:/…shirakawago.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Hida
Hida
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: buy or not Hokuriku area tourist pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted