We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Gai or Omoide Yokocho for eating

J M
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Gai or Omoide Yokocho for eating

We're in Tokyo briefly, staying at Shinjuku Princes Hotel. For eating in the evening we were undecided about these two places. Which has the better food? My understanding is that Golden gai is more bars/drinking but I can't drink (the other half does) but it's also about the ambience of the area.

We have considered eating at Omoide Yokocho then heading up to Golden Gai for a drink and a look around. We will have spent the day going around Yanaka and other places, so I am wondering on people's opinions on these two close places.

Thanks

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from USD 140.80*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from USD 65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from USD 54.50*
3 replies to this topic
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,095 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Gai or Omoide Yokocho for eating

For dining, Omoide Yokocho is much better as there are more stalls with actual food. Golden Gai has more bars than anything else. Also the majority of stalls/diners there have siting charges. I don't think you want to pay those every time. Golden Gai is so overrated, IMO. There are thousands of better bars in Shinjuku, though Golden Gai looks cool in photos.

Level Contributor
3,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Gai or Omoide Yokocho for eating

For both foods and drinking, I think Omoide Yokocho is better for people coming with tourist purposes and without introduction from a regular customer. However, Omoide Yokocho itself is more about ambiance and nostalgia of the post-war black market days than food quality.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,095 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Gai or Omoide Yokocho for eating

>>Omoide Yokocho itself is more about ambiance and nostalgia of the post-war black market days than food quality.<<

Totally agree there!

Reply to: Golden Gai or Omoide Yokocho for eating
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted