We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumatra Travel

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
322 posts
Sumatra Travel

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to get some islands around Sumatra that will be good to travel to. Also, does Sumatra have any good historical cities to visit?

I’m planning to travel during month of August. Any suggestions on good islands besides the popular Bali and Lombok.

Thanks,

6 replies to this topic
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,535 posts
882 reviews
1. Re: Sumatra Travel

What kind of things do you like to do on islands? Also, you mean you want to visit Sumatra and also other places like Java and Sulawesi or Komodo etc? Indonesia has so many islands.

Edited: 27 July 2018, 00:17
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
322 posts
2. Re: Sumatra Travel

2 things I would like to do. Find historical cities that have European influences and a good island with beaches. Sumatra has a National Park I was considering.

I have been to Bali and Lombok, so I’m looking for something new with good beaches.

Thanks

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,535 posts
882 reviews
3. Re: Sumatra Travel

Bandung is full of colonial bungalows and has quite a lot of art-deco architecture. Jakarta has a lot of colonial buildings around the Kota Tua area. For beaches why not fly out to Thousand Islands...

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
322 posts
4. Re: Sumatra Travel

That’s what I believe I would need to visit Java island if I want to see any colonial history and architecture. I would also like to see Indonesian temples and relics.

One thing I would like to add trekking and see any of the animals at the national parks. Are their any lodging inside the forest where you can view the animals?

Thanks,

czulsk

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
198 posts
157 reviews
5. Re: Sumatra Travel

Hi czulsk,

If you want to see Dutch colonial era architecture in Sumatera, you can visit Medan with its Bank Indonesia building for example. National park available at Taman Nasional Gunung Leuser at Aceh. But if you are interest in Dutch architecture like art-deco style, Bandung is a very suitable beside Jakarta with its Kota Tua area, Semarang with Kota Lama area and Yogyakarta.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
322 posts
6. Re: Sumatra Travel

Ok... thanks for the info. I would be interested in the Dutch East Indies Trading Company’s history

Reply to: Sumatra Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted