We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
565 posts
17 reviews
Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

Hello.

I'll be arriving soon in Kuala Lumpur. To travel Sumatra would it be better to fly into Medan then return by Palamban? Are there good overland connections? The plan is 30 days then back to KL and then maybe fly to Java for another 30 day segment. Do you think it's better to fly like this or should I just book a Medan return flight?

9 replies to this topic
athome
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

.. large land mass of Sumatra island and a desire to travel the roads would suggest picking two different airports .. why Palembang.

Land connections are available, some might be reasoned as good, subjective of course.

athome
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

leads are here > https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Sumatra

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
565 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

Thanks. Incidentally would you start in Medan or start in Padang?

Can anyone suggest a great starting point for 1 month in Sumatra please?

athome
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

.. yes Padang airport as start or finish .. also Banda Aceh (direct KL with AA) depends if traveller can overcome media conditioning and Sharia anxieties.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
565 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

Ok. I've seen some routes online. It seems Padang is for Bukitting and another nice place. Medan for Lake Toba and the journey there. In between best to fly. What about adding Nias?

Hey perhaps you could even help me string together a 1 month route if you were experienced in Sumatra. I mean I'd do that for you if it was the other way round ☺

athome
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

what about Nias .. indeed worthy of consideration .. nightly ferries from Sibolga (possible connect from Tuk Tuk same day, bus at about 9 am from Parapat terminal, change bus at Tarutung) .. terrific new museum near Gunung Sitoli harbour .. nice time watching the surf and traditional villages to visit .. then comfortable direct flight to Padang.

.. try for berth in share cabin on the ferry .. otherwise be ready for very local experience!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
565 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

Wow. Thanks for thr info. Any more will ne welcomed! I can't wait 😀

Edited: 09 July 2018, 00:08
athome
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

.. actually the first Parapat to Tarutung bus is closer to 9:30 than 9 am and is from the road outside the terminal not in the terminal .. such details you ask when on the ground.

.. also non-tourist places Tarutung and Sibolga have hotels to stay .. similarly in Aceh nice stops possible at Takengon and Blangkejeren .. or along the west coast at Tapak Tuan .. even Meulaboh to see how a city returns from wipe-out.

If arriving Nias on night ferry take the morning at Gunung Sitoli museum, and watch the documentary films, before the three hour share car to popular southern Nias.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
565 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?

Thanks for that information.

Reply to: Fly into Medan return by Palamban ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted