We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival WARNING

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
111 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Visa on arrival WARNING

I arrived at the Jakarta airport about 9pm and went to the visa booth thinking this would be a trustworthy government office. I handed him a $100 bill and was told it is $35. I looked at my change and it seemed light, though I didn't think I would have to prepare for this and consider what the correct change should be. I asked what the conversion rate is and he typed 8600/$. I raised my eyebrows and said pretty bad, then went to the immigration line. In line, I looked at the visa and it said $25 on it. After I was cleared, I went back to the visa guy to voice my displeasure about being ripped off fully expecting nothing. He asked me to show him my changed then appologized saying he forgot to give me 100,000rp. RIGHT! So, I was still ripped off for about 10% on the conversion. Imagine how much this guy makes in a day from stealing from tourists! Welcome to Indonesia! If I was thinking clearly, I would have asked for a receipt. This is just a warning for those of you who will land, tired, in Jakarta.

Walkindies Travel Co
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
TravelPeople
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Holiday Jakarta City Tour - Day Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Adventure Indonesia
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

Getting a visa is hardly a pleasant experience, that;s why there is Indonesian consulate or embassy in major cities around the world for visitors to get visa beforehand.

Visa on Arrival counter at the point of arrival is set up for tourists from select nationalities to get ease in obtaining the visa - HOWEVER it is their sole responsibility to check properly the process. Travel forums are set up to discuss such matters.

The visa sticker is also doubled as the receipt and each visitor is responsible to check for the exact amount and verify the balance given by te officer (if you follow this forums, there is a numerous warning to pay the visa-on-arrival with EXACT change to save time and eliminate such unpleasant experience).

The attitude of the officer in giving false information is still the symbol that the country is not free from money corruption practice - but tourist is also play its responsibility to ensure the wellbeing of him/herself.

In your other post, you claimed "No problem, I've traveled enough to know a scam.... usually!" But such carelessness to care about a procedure is left the question of you being a discerning traveler.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

<<. This is just a warning for those of you who will land, tired, in Jakarta.>>

Dear Scott R,

Your message is not a warning, but the account of an accident resulted by being poorly informed about the procedure etc. The WARNING is what we every day say, cry, wail and scream on this forum page:

# bring exact money - 25 USD/ passport

# do not expect change

# do not bring bigger notes

# do not have OTHER currency

# no cards, cash only.

This warning is given on out TA forum every single day since the TA was founded, have you checked this BEFORE travel????? Have you asked us about any matter related to this trip????

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The attitude of the officers/ visa booth people is a disgusting example of dishonesty and local corruption. This is very shameful to admit that our country is VERY far behind the bar of civilization in this area and treating visitors poorly on the very doorstep................Really sorry to hear about such cases AGAIN!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

Thanks for posting this and for the advice to bring exact amount for the fees in U.S. dollars.

We'll be arriving in Jakarta on December 22 and will also do the Visa on Arrival rather than getting it beforehand. Question: Is there usually a long lineup/wait to obtain the visa and to clear immigration? We have a 4-hour layover between our arrival in Jakarta and our flight out to Yogyakarta. I'm assuming this is more than enough time. Please advise.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

Dear Canadadventurer,

<< Is there usually a long lineup/wait to obtain the visa and to clear immigration?>>

The airport (especially Terminal 2) is currently revamping itself to serve customers better. Now, there is a clear lane on which locals, visitors who are exempted from visa, and those requiring visa-on-arrival a dedicated lane. It won't take so long and since you have 4-hour layover, it's more than enough.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

<< Question: Is there usually a long lineup/wait to obtain the visa >>

Depends on how busy arrival hall is and number of plane landing in the same time as you .

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

<<. I'm assuming this is more than enough time. Please advise.>>

YES, your timing is sufficient for connection.

Travel safely!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to visit Indonesia for the first time.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

/Canadadventurer,

You`re most welcome. Enjoy your time in Indonesia!!!

Bandung
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

My Niece and her daughter arrived in Bandung via Singapore on Silk Air November 16th.......they had 10 USD each eady for a one week VOA....the right money....but.....they were told by the immigration officer that there were only forms for the 25 USD Visa......just arrived in Indonesia and ripped off...not a good start....worse to come....My Niece who is a hard working lady of 50 (from Australia) had her luggage subject to an intensive going-over by a Customs Officer at Bandung Airport......as My Niece and her daughter were last to come off the crowded Silk Air flight it took as long to go through immigration and Customs as it did for the flight from Singapore to Bandung. They carried nothing untoward and were so cautious whilst in Bandung that they would not even dare to buy some of the DVD's on sale here...in other words their six day visit to Indonesia was partially ruined by these ruthless officials at Bandung airport.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

favenchi,

If your niece and her daughter arrived in Indonesia in 2012 , they were given the RIGHT and LEGAL info. The 10 USD visa is cancelled year ago. Right now we have only 25 USD/ passport option for the visitors.