We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current situation

Singapore
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Current situation

Hi guys, any update on the current situation in Jakarta (CBD area etc)? Heard and saw from the news that there's a protest ongoing regarding the fuel price hike. Will most of the major road or railway station (Gambir station) be affected? Quite worried as my trip will be in a week time..

Regards,

Equizit

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current situation

<<Quite worried as my trip will be in a week time..>>

With a trip in * a week time** you have nothing to worry, PROTESTs do not last long.....LOL

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current situation

International media is rather exaggerating about the situation... Demonstration is common thing in Indonesia, it does need permit from police and it won't last that long. Gambir area won't be affected unless you're planning to join them which mostly will be concentrated around the palace or Hotel Indonesia roundabout

Singapore
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current situation

Phew..thanks guys for the info..now i feel relieved! I don't want another bad encounter like in Bangkok previously..

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current situation

For your safety, check on local TV or newspaper or check with the concierge before venturing out of the hotel. one can't really predict on what's going to happen, but from experience in the past, it's never likely to be something like in Bangkok. the situation is always been like this; one issue emerge after one another. your travel time is happen during the world's most talkable issue: oil. my suggestion is to always stay alert and be safe.

Singapore
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current situation

Thanks again Cirque! Well I'll ensure that I keep myself update about the current local news.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current situation

I agree with cirque.

Really any advice we give here is only good for 5 mins as it is a fluid and developing situation.

The main day of interest is possibly 1 April as that is the date of the first application of the new fuel pricing schedule.

The price of fuel is going up by approximately 30% (Rp4,500 to Rp6,000).

This will have a quite confronting effect upon many Indonesians, more so for the poor and disadvantage who will no doubt struggle with the wider price inflationary outcomes across the entire spectrum of goods and services provision.

Local on the spot information at the actual time is what you will need.

Best not to be too influenced by the news media, they will always point the camera at the most attention getting activities. Something on fire is like a magnet for both cameras and newsroom editors, even if it is just a bit of burning rubbish with an old motorbike tyre thrown onto it for some smoke effects.

There are a lot of Police on stand-by in Jakarta, including elements of Bemob (Mobile Brigade), the principal paramilitary wing of the national police.

There are also a significant number of army personnel on active stand-by.

(Please note that Bremob are not to be confused with Densus 88, they are the Indonesian Police anti-terrorism group and are quite different.)

The issue in Jakarta is one of potentially massive traffic congestion.

Many people are keeping off the roads as they fear becoming 'trapped' in a gridlocked vehicle for many hours.

That happens enough already in Jakarta, these events make it much more likely.

If you need to go to the airport to catch a flight then do ensure that you plan adequately.

Don't be too alarmed by it all, remember the camera always points toward the action, they do not waste airtime on quiet uneventful vistas.

Fire, smoke and people pushing and shoving each other sells a story, whereas people sitting around smoking cigarettes and looking a bit bored doesn't normally make the evening news.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 14:55
7. Re: Current situation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 19:42