We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kutai NP Versus Danum Valley

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kutai NP Versus Danum Valley

Hoping someone has been to both and can help me. I want a good chance of seeing orangutans, in the wild. I know this is more likely at Kutai (except for in fruiting months when they're more visible at Danum, but this is not when I'm going). However, perhaps equally as important to me is seeing primary (not secondary) rainforest, which Kutai cannot provide.

In a dream, I'd do both, but travel between the two is extraordinarily time consuming, and I'm a bit constricted with time (logistics tips are welcome).

I also want time on a houseboat, which in Kutai means Mahakam, and by Danum means Kinabatangan (daily life of people and/or animals, whatever, just want to see what the country is like).

A picture of the type of traveler I am:

I am not interested in seeing the rehabilitated orangutans, nor do I want to be in the thick of tourists. I don't want anyone to stage a dance for me. I am interested in conservation. I have trekked in various places in Africa, and am used to off-the-beaten path. I am physically fit. I have learned/continue to learn basic Bahasa Indonesia, because I enjoy doing that. I am willing and able to pay transportation costs to get where I want, and am not interested in fancy lodges.

Thank you for your input!

Mentioned in this post
1 reply
Balikpapan...
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kutai NP Versus Danum Valley

Kutai National Park is provide wild orangutan, stay in simple lodge not fancy type. Combine with Mahakam River would be very interest trip. Or if you want something adventure try cross borneo from east to west... you can not compare cross borneo to other place... If you want light trekking I suggest you to go to Meratus Mountain... So in Kalimantan Island we have it...

Mentioned in this post
Mahakam River
Mahakam River
152 Reviews
Samarinda, Indonesia
Reply to: Kutai NP Versus Danum Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted