We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

Hi,

Last time I was in Bali I used a cash passport card to get funds from ATM's while this was convenient, the charges for using the card for transactions was very expensive. I was wondering about using the Australia Post Load & Go Visa Card this time around, and also if I could use this card in local ATM's. Thanks

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

I agree - DO NOT GET A LOAD AND GO CARD FROM AUST POST.

Three unauthorised transactions took place against my card while I was in London on 3rd January, with 700 GBP taken from my account, along with numerous declined transactions.

Australia Post customer call centre (which is based in Scotland apparently) did not place a stop on my card when I rang to report it, the response was "the merchant will see all the decline transactions and will refund the money".

It wasn't until I returned to Australia and finally, a CSO placed a "stop" on the card.

Now, five months later, Load and Go have come back to me to say that I have no chargeback rights because a PIN and card was present when the transactions took place and that I have to claim it via my travel insurance. They refuse to believe that these transactions were not authorised by me.

My travel insurance does not cover this.

So now where do I from here? It appears I have to kiss 700 pounds goodbye.

Devonport, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

We have just returned from Greek islands and took the load and go travel card because the post office raved about it....DO NOT get this card we have had nothing but trouble, I loaded 5000 aust dollars on to it then converted to euros , that all went ok, once in Greece I took out 600 euro then another 2 lots of 400 euro in other islands , checked my balance and only had 1100 euro left about 1000 short, all transactions were ok and final balance but available balance was wrong, called the call centre which was in Glasgow and they were rude and no help, seems all they could do was email Australia and get back to me in 2 days , still waiting 10 days later, they told me that the Greek banks had processed the transactions twice but the money should go back in a few days, 3 days later I had 600 put back in but I am on my way home now and have still not got the rest of my money. I can't understand how this happened and it wasn't just me my friend I travelled with had the same issue, she made about 4 calls but all to no avail , pretty bad when you have to use your bank card from home when this travel card was touted as the best thing ever, I will be withdrawing all my funds when I get th back and NEVER using this card again!!!!!! Will go back to cash passport at least I can access my own money.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,055 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

Don't get a cash passport, get a Citibank Plus debit card or a 28Degrees MasterCard (and either preload it before you make withdrawals or transfer funds over ASAP to minimise interest on cash withdrawals). Best foreign exchange rates and no foreign exchange fees.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

My son bought the APO Load and Go for his trip to the US. Tonight I received a call that he couldn't access his card in the US to change the AUD to USD. I rang the service number from Australia and was told by the SCOTTISH office that because the system was updating, access was not possible and I couldn't be given a time when the system would be available.

My sister's Load and Go card stopped working in Hawaii because it was overseas!

The Load and Go card is a POS.

I have used the 28 degree card all over and have had no problems, it is funded by GE money and access is a Sydney number.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

The Aust Post Multi currency Load and Go is not flash for purchases using EFTPOS in countries outside those listed on the card. If you are in UK, purchase using EFTPOD from GBP wallet, no charge. If you are in Bali transacting in Rupiah and money is coming from any of your card wallets, then you are going to get hit 3% conversion fee (at least - I found that some fees were around 4% for some reason, it will cost me $4 to ring and inquire, so haven't bothered) . ATM withdrawals everywhere in the world will be charged 3% (plus some ATM companies have their own additional charges).

I found the card expensive to use in Malaysia. $30 fee in $1000 is not cheap !! So if you are in those countries with their currencies are on the card (UK, NZ, USA etc) use the card for purchases and minimize as much as possible cash withdrawals from ATM's..

I find the Travelex Muliti- Currency card has more useful currencies - but again its not any better in Bali or Malaysia. It gets down to differing fees and what u want, so a bit of reading involved to find these things out. But for Bali, I take some cash and keep it the room safe - $1000 will go a long way and u get better exchange rates in a banks there than what u get from any card. Use the card for back up if u run short. Mastercard / Visa also slug you fees and have conversion fees up to around 3%. - plus hefty interest so be careful!! I found the AP card just okay - hopefully it will be of better use in UK later this year!

One more thing - with the Aust Post Travel card - dont forget to prioritise your wallets and keep your mobile phone number updated through the website. eg When in UK you want your money coming from yr GBP wallet first - and you will confuse the operator if you ring and mobile numbers are not the same.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

Hmm - some of these posts are scaring me. As I have written before, had no trouble with my Aust Post Travel Load and Go card so far - and hope I don't encounter any later on!! There is no such thing as a fee free card in my books - you pay for it somewhere. The 28 Degree card gets good wraps in these posts - it is a credit card, not a pre-loaded cash card. Significant difference. Whilst 28 Degrees does seems good value for a credit card charging no international purchase, conversion and ATM fees - there is a dark side ! The card is a 55 day interest free cardter which steep interest for purchases kicks in, charges $25 for late payments and 20.9% on cash advances. Like all credit cards, they need to be managed well, or they can cost u an arm or leg if u overspend and cant pay the total back when next due.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

We went in October and I looked at heaps of options before deciding on the Commonwealth Bank Travel Card. It was cheapest and was great. Cash does get you the best rate over there but just depends on how much money youre comfortable to have on you. We took half cash and half on the card.

Mt Isa, Queensland
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

Hi

I just posted a topic about this and I am yet to use mine overseas however I did have issues loading money on.

I decided to load cash on using Aus Post Bill Bay as I wanted the funds immediately. I did this as home using my Westpac Mastercard. It refused to go through.

I rung Westpac the next day and apparently there is alot of fraud related to the mastercards being used on these travel cards.

They advised me that I would need to ring the fraud line so they could 'unblock' the card to allow me to make the transaction. They only unblock it for a period of 15mins.

Each time I wish to load money on, I need to ring Westpac Fraud and ask them to 'unblock' the card.

I'm not sure if this is the case with other banks.

Despite this, I still think these are the best cards as you can reload for free and get different rates.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,055 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

Unless the AUD is moving dramatically downward (which it hasn't really yet) locking in your currency on a travel card still works out more expensive than using either 28Degrees (which, yes, is a credit card but if you have funds to load onto a travel card then just sequester them and load them onto the 28Degrees card before the payment is due or better still as you use the card if you're making cash withdrawals), or a Citibank Plus Visa Debit card, which is a straight debit account. The travel cards make their money by using a dreadful conversion rate.

Canberra
3 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Australia Post Load & Go Travel Card

I also recently got this card for a trip in Europe.

I got it as a back up to my bank cards which have previously not accepted my PIN overseas, leaving me without money.

Luckily my bankcards worked as I have not been able to get the LOAD & GO to work.

First thing to note is that the PIN for the ATM is not the PIN to access your card online. You have to send a text and be sent it (It is mentioned on the site, but not a great deal is made of it, so I did not know this before I left).

I finally got the ATM PIN when I got back to Australia (having left my mobile at home, so I could not get it). But my PIN still does not work, so at this stage I have not being able to access my money at all.

Having said this, it's fees are not way over the top compared to other travel cards, and if it does work it might be ok.