We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monkey forest bite

Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Monkey forest bite

3 weeks ago I got bitten by a monkey in the forest in ubud! I went to the clinic there and they washed it with soap, alcohol and then in iodine. She said there is no monkey with rabies here. Anyway I went back and googled, got freaked out, went to clinic who advised me to get vaccine shot (verorab) I had 2 shots that day one in each arm then another jab on day 7 on gili T! I had pre-exposure but that was oct 2011 so they are giving me the full course and I need 1 more jab on day 28!

Anyway I'm freaking out as have tingly feeling and itchy in that arm. And feel like I'm producing more saliva but not drooling.

I called travel ins and I went to SOS clinic in kuta who checked my temp, blood pressure ect. And said he didn't think it was related. But I'm still freaking out that I could have rabies. It's been a week since the tingly feeling at about 3 days with saliva. I did have a cold/sore throat about week and half ago.

What should I do??? Has there been reports of rabies in monkeys recently??

Thanks in advance

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monkey forest bite

We are not medical professionals so cannont comment on your symptoms but to date there has never ever been any documented case of rabies in monkeys in Bali.

Dogs, pigs and cattle, yes...............monkeys, no!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monkey forest bite

Whinnie is right,, there is no point asking on a forum.. You have sought medical help, if you are really freaking out, and can't accept the professional advice in Bali, get on a plane and go home to your own doctor. Sorry, but no one here can diagnose you and I suspect you will not be fully at ease until you do go to a hospital.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monkey forest bite

If it is of any assistance in settling your nerves then it is worth considering that IF you had contracted rabies you would be the first person to have ever contacted that disease from a monkey on the island of Bali.

Though there has been considerable discussion of it on travel forums and elsewhere this has just simply NEVER happened and most of the information floating about is based upon fantasy and uninformed speculation..

Of course no one can guarantee that it will never happen but also it cannot be guaranteed that the moon will not crash into the earth and cause terrible damage, it is theoretically possible, so therefore cannot be entirely ruled out.

This is why when you read information on an authoritative medical site they will often caution concerning Rabies. Even though it is most unlikely that someone will acquire those diseases they are compelled to state that it is possible, because they cannot state that it is 'impossible'.

Hence a lot of rabies vaccination treatments are provided to people where they are not really required at all.

If someone says they are scared they might have contracted Rabies and are not given a shot then there could be all sorts of recriminations later, so they are provided with the shots, the provider pockets the fee and everyone moves on.

If you get home and ask a doctor they will simply insist you have the shots as they are insufficiently informed to be able to tell you not to do so.

It is an irksome conundrum, so they will just take the easiest and least controversial path.

If it turned out that you made medical history and became the first known case of rabies transmission between a monkey and a human on Bali then there would be hell to pay, yet if they give you the shot everyone is happy, and they get paid a fee.

Only you can make the decision to vaccinate, and you apparently already have.

So to your current concerns:

Do bear in mind that to have contracted Rabies from that monkey it would need to have been infected by rabies in the first place. Presumably there is no evidence of this.

You have described having received the normal 1st aid treatment for a potential Rabies transmissive bite.

Then you were vaccinated.

Perhaps at this point you should be worrying more about the moon crashing into your hotel room.

Maybe you have an allergic reaction to something, or maybe a 'flu' like viral infection is trying to establish a foothold, or maybe you are thinking too much.

Just have a nice holiday, eat lots of healthy food, drink lots of non-alcoholic liquids and remember to enjoy yourself, and in the future look at monkeys from a much greater distance.

Go have a massage and a full body scrub, that should take care of this suspected Rabies itches with some certainty, sorry cannot help with the drooling, maybe you are hungry :)

4. Re: Monkey forest bite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2014, 21:17