We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue fever

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue fever

Hi, we were in Bali for a week 12 yrs ago and when we got to next stop, Kuala Lumpur, my husband was diagnosed with Dengue Fever. We are going to Bali in February for a week - any suggestions on how to avoid daytime biting mosquitoes??

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dengue fever

Hi Diane

Rid & aero guard are definitely not odour free in the aerosol cans.

The use of Off, a local product is popular, but I'm not sure about the odour of it, someone else could probably help with that.

Definitely consult the Doctor for advice.

What about the wrist bands, I'm going to take some this trip as well, although I haven't tried them before. I will use my Rid as well.

Good luck.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dengue fever

Hi Diane C

The most popular local products are Autan and Soffell.

autan.co.uk/media/…20brochure.pdf

www.scjohnson.ro/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=5234

http://www.enesis.com/product/detail/en/5

Soffell has DEET in it , Autan has the alternative and potentially less toxic Icaridin.

These are both creams.

If there is a bronchial inflammation issue then avoid airborne aerosols.

You might like to try Munyak Sereh.

That is the local name for distilled citronella oil concentrate.

It is effective, and it is generally no allergenic.

Try on a small amount on a sensitive skin area first.

It does evaporate readily do frequent re-aplication is required.

The Aedes mosquito is a daytime, dawn/dusk operative, they are only active in daylight and like to retire for a sleep if the colour temperature of the available light falls below around 5,500K.

Sometimes (blue white) artificial light will keep them up past their bedtime.

The males are benign, they eat fruit.

The females may bite an infected human, carry that infection and bite another human.

Their life span is under 4 weeks so that is normally a self-limiting restraint upon the disease vector.

There is no "inoculation" for Dengue other than awareness.

Give very critical consideration to any recommendations to prophylaxis medications put forward for Malaria. Discuss this with your doctor of course but it is very highly unlikely that you will be exposed to a Malarial ineffective mosquito in Bali Lombok during your visit.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 16:14
Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dengue fever

Excellent info as always Herc!!

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dengue fever

I was lucky enough, two years ago, to participate in an Australian/PNG/Indonesian/Vietnam 18 month finial blind trial of a Dengue Fever vaccine. It consisted of 3 shots spaced 6 months apart. Winter last year I was informed I had received the real vaccine not the placebo. There were NO side effects.

This vaccine was developed by the Institut Pasteur in Paris and consisted of three trials over a 10 year period, the finial being the above mentioned.

For those medically interested, they hooked it onto the Yellow Fever vaccine base.

When asked, the reason for my participation was that a year prior to the study an expat friend of ours in Bali nearly died from Dengue Fever.

This vaccine is meant to be available commercially in 2014/2015.

15. Re: Dengue fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 19:03
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dengue fever

I use bush mans from here as it has 40% deet which I read is the best to use. Going back in Feb(14th trip) and will try something else as bushmans is so oily. I also use mozzie patches which you get from camping stores. They smell quite potent(citronella) but I put one on the inside of my shorts or on my bag. The bag works well as when I sit for lunch I put the bag at my feet which hopefully keeps them away from my legs whilst eating etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dengue fever

Hi

I was in Bali this time 2 years ago and within a week of being home contracted dengue, by doing a timeline it worked ouy that I contracted it during my Bali visit. In saying this I never once applied repellant once, my bad. I have never been so sick in all my life.

It hasn't stopped me going back, will be there in 8 days, this time with plenty of rid

Oshawa
4 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Dengue fever

Hi Wayvan,

Thanks so much for your reply - it's very helpful

DianeC

Oshawa
4 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Dengue fever

Dear Hercules,

Thank you so much for your detailed information re: Dengue fever, repellants and asthmatics. It is most helpful to me and my sister !

Diane C, Canada

20. Re: Dengue fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 18:16