We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

Hi All!!

My boy (3yo) loves sea turtle. After searching on the web, looks like the sea turtle conservation at serangan island is better compare the one at tanjung benoa. Is that right?

Is it better to go by glass boat to that island or by car?

Then, when I searched for other attractions, I found dolphin lodge.

Is it possible to go do the dolphin watching without joining the pick up service like in http://www.balidophins.com? Can we buy the ticket on the spot?

Any other attraction interesting on the island for 3yo?

Thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

I am also interested, but had no luck finding further details on the official website as it tells more about the history instead of how to get there, admission, etc.

Has anyone been there? Could you please share your experience?

Cheers.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,895 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

the turtles at serangan are the ones you should see. Don't go to the one at tanjung benoa where they take you out on a boat. Serangan is a turtle conservation centre, you pay a donation. You can get a driver to take you there and stay as long as you want and feed the turtles. Local drivers know how to get there. IF they try to take you to the other place say no and ensure they take you to serangan. The turn off for this is on the bypass road leading to sanur from kuta. The turn off is just about opposite Lotte mart which used to be called Macro.

As for the dolphins, this is very popular and a very good experience.

You have to book months in advance usually (unless you are lucky to get in because of a cancellation). You have to contact them, make a booking and they will collect you from your hotel. You cannot just turn up and be guaranteed a spot. In fact it is very very unlikely you would get in.

Email asap and see if you can get a booking if you want to do this.

many regulars on this forum have been to the dolphins and turtles.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

Very informative, but can you elaborate more on the turn off?

About having to book in advance, does this also apply to the turtles?

Cheers.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,895 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

to get to the turtles all you need is to hire a driver to take you there. We have a list of highly recommended drivers on the right hand side of this page who you can contact and book for day trips. IF you want you could hire one of these drivers, visit the turtles and then continue on a day trip sightseeing. The other option is to hire a driver off the street for a few hours to drive you there, wait and return you to your hotel. As a guide 50,000rp per hour is what you pay when hiring a driver for shorter periods of time. IF a driver wants to take you to the turtles at benoa say no. Insist you go to serangan. Tell him this is the one you wish to go to, he will know the bypass road, he will also know where lotte mart is located on this road. As I mentioned the turn off to get to serangan is just on the opposite side of the road where lotte mart (old macro) is located. Once he turns down there you go directly to serangan.

You do not need to book at all for the turtles, just turn up during the day.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

There is a sign but very very old and very very faded.

The turtles at Serangan are very beautiful, baby ones right through to huge 50 year old ones.

Very basic set up but very good for the turtles.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

Thanks for your help guys! I will put the turtles on my itinerary. I'll figure out how to get there.

Cheers.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

I just got back from Bali last week. Yes the turtle conservation was much better than the Benoa one. But like one the reviewer said you must insist to go to Serangan otherwise your driver will bring you to Benoa.

A tips for you if you want to adopt baby turtle and release it to the sea:

it'd better pay in right in conservation and ask for the receipt so you know that it goes to the conservation not the staff. What happened to me last time, when I wanted to pay right away while we're still in conservation, the guide from the conservation insisted to pay after we were coming back. But then after we released the baby turtle at the beach, she told me just pay her there and we didn't need to go back to conservation again. Yeah.. it was tricky.

For the dolphin lodge, yes you have to book in advance first. We couldn't go this time because it was fully book. Next time will book in advance :)

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

AFineFrenzy - Just to clarify, the Serangan turtle sanctuary and Dolphin Lodge are right near each other, on the same road. You have to drive past the turtle place to get to the Dolphin Lodge. Both activities could be easily combined into the one day. You could use the free dolphin transport to get there in the morning, do the dolphin experience, then ask them to call a taxi to take you to the turtle place. They may be happy dropping you off at the turtles on the way past on a return trip, but don't count on it. We asked them to drop us at Sanur rather than return us to our hotel at Nusa Dua and they refused, even though it was a much shorter trip. The staff at Dolphin Lodge called us a taxi and it took us to Sanur at very little cost (the trip was about 15 minutes). If you're feeling energetic and have time to spare you could even walk from Dolphin Lodge to the turtles if you want.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 10:33
9. Re: Turtle conservation @ serangan island and dolphin lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 09:47