We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Medication into Bali

Sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Medication into Bali

Hi all,

We are flying out next Saturday (can't wait) and have question about medication. I have read some past forums and a lot of people are mentioning having a letter from the Doctor my question is if I take a copy of the prescription from the Doctors with me would that be as good as a letter? Don't particularly want to wait around a Dr's surgery unnecessarily. Also is there any problem taking Nurofen plus into the country as it does have some codeine in it?

Thanks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
369 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

Hi. i.took a doctors letter with me and didn't even get asked.for it. just make sure your medication is in its original box with the prescription sticker on it. as for the nurofen plus you shouldn't have a problem i would think, but you should be able to buy it in bali. someone else might be able to clarify that for me. have a great trip.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

We always have a letter from our doctor when we carry medications into Bali. I am not sure about Nurofen but you can always buy over the counter tablets quite easliy and are much cheaper. We have gone to a Dr's in Bali in the past for cold & flu tablets, they work heaps better than the ones you can buy in Aussie and the whole visit was only about $5 including medication. Remember if you are carrying drugs they have to be declared.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

If you think some of the drugs you are taking into Indonesia may be on their illegal list definitely take a letter from your doctor. Indonesia is one of the last places you want to come up against the law in regards to drugs :).

Also make sure you declare them. Indonesian customs officers are very easy going and easy to get through as long as you play by the rules.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

I really think it depends on what medication you are talking into the country. I take Thyroxin every trip I and I have never taken a doctors letter or even the packaging. I wouldn't have any qualms in taking Nurofen either.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

You can take the nurofen with the codeine (as well as normal nurofen). When you purchase the nurofen with codeine the chemist always puts a sticker on it similar to the ones on a doctors prescription which states your name, recommended dose etc.

Keep all medicaiton in original packaging and keep it in your carry on.

I do get a letter from my doctor, it is just a safeguard in case you get stopped and questioned. My last trip to Bali they did ask to see some of the medication I had after my luggage got x rayed at customs. There was no problem once they saw the packaging and accompanying letter.

The chance of needing to produce a letter is pretty slim but obviously some people have to take some items with them which can cause some 'interest'.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

Same with Lorrienne, between us we take in our blood pressure tabs as well as other personal medications. Never declare them, never taken in a Dr letter or the packaging.

Sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I'll be off to the Dr's in the next couple of days to get that letter!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

Technically under Indonesian law anything with Codeine in it is classified as a 'narcotic' and is therefore a prohibited import.

Also formulations containing Codeine are available for purchase from most apotik in Indonesia without any fuss or bother.

Application of the importation restrictions is loosened for visitors as long as the quantities are limited and it can be readily demonstrated this medication is for your personal use and that use has been prescribed by a medical doctor. This flexibility is described in the statutes, so be reassured it is not just an ad-hoc thing.

Unless you need to bring in something really important like morphine for someone with a serious illness then don't worry too much about formalising things.

But do be aware of the law, and DO NOT hide anything in any way.

Snooky has given good advice; get the provider to put a sticker on it showing your name and the contents and a dosage.

That should take care of it adaquately.

If you have a prescription then take that with you, it can assist in identifying important medications should they become lost and need replacing, they also assist in legitimising things, both to any formal Indonesian enquiry, or to your insurers should you encounter a medical problem whilst travelling.

For those you who do require formalisation many Indonesian foreign missions will provide a letter seeking a border waiver for importation of the more controversial controlled medications, or those required to be carried into the country in significant quantities (for personal use)..

http://www.kjri-sydney.org.au/fees

TRAVEL ADVICE REGARDING MEDICINES

(cut sand paste copy...an example for those travelling from Sydney Australia)

Care must be taken when carrying medicines from Australia to Indonesia, and often you will be required to provide evidence of your need for particular medicines. Common medicines such as those that treat flu, diarrhea and dehydration symptoms, as well as most daily vitamins, do not require supporting documents to be provided.

The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Sydney is able to provide a Certified Letter of Approved Medicines for those who need to bring medicine with them during their stay in Indonesia. The letter is provided in Indonesian, and covers medicinal requirements such as prescription eye drops and prescription pain-killers containing morphine.

To obtain a letter, you must supply the following documents to the Consulate:

Doctor’s letter (original)

Copy of Passport

Travel Itinerary (exit/entry to Indonesia)

These documents may be presented either in person at the following address:

236-238 Maroubra Road, Maroubra, NSW 2035, or by mail, sent to the above address and for the attention of Indonesian Consulate General: Consular Section.

If supplying the documents by mail, please enclose a return envelope (or self addressed envelope with sufficient stamps) and send by Express Post, Registered Express Post, Fed Ex or any other services.

The Consulate is not responsible for lost documents sent by mail. Therefore, please make sure you select the most secure mail service. Additionally, ensure the envelope is correctly addressed, contains all the required documents and that you have selected an express postal service to avoid delays.

The fee for this service is AUD $35.00 per original document and may be paid by EFTPOS/credit card, or by money order/company cheque made payable to the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Sydney. Personal cheques are not accepted.

Please note: The Certified Letter of Approved Medicines is regarded as a supporting document only and assists when entering an Indonesian airport. However, the final approval of entry of carried medicines into Indonesia rests with the airports’ Custom and Quarantine office.

Please be reminded that liquid, aerosol and gel alcohol should be place in a plastic container (each container capacity maximum 100 ml), with a total weight not exceeding 1 Liter.

Illicit drugs or narcotics are illegal to enter into Indonesian territory.

If you have any further questions or require more specific information,please do not hesitate to contact the Consulate at 02 (93449933)

Edited: 25 March 2012, 17:01
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

HiThere,

We just take our medication in their boxes, which has the sticker on it from the chemist. In all our countless trips OS we have never been questioned.

Have a great trip,

Sandy

10. Re: Taking Medication into Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:40