We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free alcohol

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
527 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free alcohol

Hi guys :)

We usually buy some booze when we return to Australia. But can anyone tell me how it works if we buy some at the Perth airport on our way to Bali?

How much can you take in to Bali? Do we have to drink it all while there (i'm sure we can manage lol)

Thanks in advance x

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free alcohol

its 1 litre per person to take in

and 2.25 back in australia

there is a ongoing thread floating around on this .i will say its easier to buy when u arrive back in perth . there will other opinions on this,

if u have a little bit left just give to someone at the hotel

but this my opinion

just a thought

welcome to trip advisor

chris

Edited: 26 February 2012, 21:19
perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free alcohol

You may take 1 litre of alcohol each into Bali (that is if traveller is over 18)

On return you may bring back 2 litres.

We usually pre purchase our return duty free at Perth Airport, and when off the plane head straight to the collection counter at the duty free shop, then down to immigration and customs.

It's funny, but my duty free alcohol, seems to "evaporate" very quickly in Bali!!

Must be the heat or something!!!! lol!!

If, that's a big "if" we did have a bit left, we usually leave it behind with a note giving the housekeeping permission to have it.

Hope this helps!

wendy

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free alcohol

In recent months Bali airport has been significantly cheaper than Perth.

A bottle of scotch, the usual brand Johnnie Walker etc, have been US$17 per litre.

I also have the problem that whatever I bring to Bali ( I am in Bali now ) seems to evaporate too.

I think you are allowed 2.25lt per person into Australia.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
527 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free alcohol

Thanks for your help. Im thinking a bottle of Madori will go nicely with some lemonade or pineapple juice :)

Hmmmm This alcohol "evaporation" seems to be a common problem. *wink wink*

5. Re: Duty free alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 06:40
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
527 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free alcohol

I have always been hesitant to buy at DPS airport because I have seen peoples alcohol confiscated (no apparent reason other then the staff member at xray had a hankering for Johnny/Jim/Jack lol)

Have you ever seen this happen?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free alcohol

WOW - I'm surprised to read that Jetstar doesn't allow duty free on board? Is that for. Flight to and from flights into Bali? We are flying from Darwin to Bali and were planning to purchase some duty free alcohol and flying with Jetstar, has had anyone experience with it?

Thanks

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free alcohol

Hi!

I did not mention buying duty free on departure from Bali, as not knowing which airline you are using, would hate to recommend only to have your grog confiscated at departure gate.

Best to check with your carrier prior to leaving Perth and then you know where you stand.

cheers

wendy!

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free alcohol

In Bali you buy at DFS and your order is delivered to the gate of departure. You collect after you have gone through all the formalities and pick it up it just before you leave the departure area.

I have not had any problems flying Air Asia.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free alcohol

When you go to purchase your duty free alcohol at DPS airport on the way home, the staff at the duty free shop will ask you for your passport and boarding pass. If you are flying Jetstar, they will not sell it to you advising this Jetstar and Qantas policy, not Indonesian law.

I know as this happened to me and had to buy my duty free grog in Melbourne on the way back into Australia.

I can only guess that this policy is to stop "unruly" passengers consuming their duty free alcohol on the plane flying home. I recall hearing about Virgin having to divert back to Darwin on a Bali - Perth flight to off-load drunken yobbos.

You can bring in 2.25 liters of alcohol back to Australia, the duty free stores are selling 250 ml bottles of popular spirits for $9.99 so you can max out your duty free allowance.

Have a great trip to Bali!

Cheers! Hic! (damned Bali alcohol evaporation! :)