We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

Perth
Level Contributor
469 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

On a recent trip to Bali I was floored by the cheapness of these two herbs at the markets in Ubud. Just wondering if anyone knows it they are able to be bought back to Australia.

I do remember someone mentioning buying them in Ubud (they also purchased salt and jams at a retail store), but I do not recall if they were allowed back through customs.

perth
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

Purchased vanilla beans in Bali last December, declared them on arrival in Australia, allowed in no trouble.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

Not sure if you are talking about me, but I bought a big bunch of vanilla beans, salt, and jam from Ubud last year.

No problems with quarantine in brisbane. I was uncertain on the jams, but they said as it has been packaged and processed it wasn't a problem.

Just make sure you store the beans properly when you return home. One bag of mine became mouldy (QLD humidity) and I had to throw them. Luckily it only cost $5 or so.

And get some Bali salt. Big bag for about $1. If you're a salt person that is :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

I have bought both Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon sticks at different times through Sydney and Perth. Ok both times. They were in a sealed bag.

Perth
Level Contributor
469 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

Thanks for the replies - Yes - I remember now it was you beedzu! I remember really enjoying reading about your time in Ubud. You are also a fan of woven baskets I recall. Must go back and look at your posting as I am off to Ubud in a couple of weeks. Going with some other girls that will be right into the shopping side of things!! Any pointers??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

Ah yes, the woven ceremonial baskets! They sit stacked on a book shelf and every time I look at them I think of Ubud :)

If you're into woven goods, there is a great shop on Jl Monkey forest (across the road from cafe wayan and slightly up the street) - it's called Koko and they make beautiful woven goods. Their prices are just as competitive as the markets (they markets are a bit of a rip off, even after a hard bargain) and they have better quality control. Great for a few small hand made pressies to bring home (a pretty little drawstring basket bag was about $7). It was my favorite shop. Bought a lovely handbag (maybe $26) with leather shoulder straps and I always get compliments on it.

Jl Hanoman also have some great shops, I picked up some cotton and linen cushion covers in that street.

Here's the link to my Bali entries, including some of my favorite shops in Ubud:

anasmusings.wordpress.com/category/bali/

So jealous that you'll be there is a few weeks!! Have a fabulous time!

Ps - bring back a bag of salt. Sounds silly, but it's a finer tasting salt that seasons food much better then your usual brands of salt from the supermarket.

Perth
Level Contributor
469 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

Thanks. It was a great read and I have sent of the link to the other ladies I will be travelling with. Will get the salt! Where did you buy your salt from? Going to also try the poo coffee!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

I bought the big bag of salt from the markets in Ubud (on the ground floor - salt from one stall, and vanilla beans from the stall opposite - just browse and you will find), and a small jar from Kou cuisine as well.

The poo coffee certainly is different - more berry tasting then your usual caramel flavours. Not to everyone's taste though. The other coffees available are yummy, especially the ginseng one.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

Good luck with the cinnamon, it is tree bark so technically could be problematic.

The key is probably in how you package it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

That's great news. We use heaps of vanilla pods during the winter months and i have previously thought about it but assumed it maybe an issue.

Going up next week but not to Ubud.

Any suggestions down around Legian/Seminyak would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Perth
Level Contributor
469 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vanilla Bean pods and cinnamon through customs

I saw vanilla beans in the Hardy's supermarket in Sanur, so you could try Bintang Supermarket or Carrefore. In Sanur they were packaged up in a bundle of about 20 pods, but I cannot recall the price. It was nothing compared to Australias price though!