We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Australia from Bali

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Calling Australia from Bali

Hi guys, still in Bali - second last day and need some quick help...

Hubby has his work phone over here with us and needs to call back to Australia. It's a Telstra mobile with international roaming enabled.

He's trying to dial a mobile using +61 412 345 678 as the format, but every time he dials it comes up as call failed.

What's he doing wrong?

PS don't need or want sim from here, as work is paying.

36 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

Have you tried 0011 61 412 345 678

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,494 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

That should do the trick, but it's a shame you didn't get an Indo Sim card. So very much cheaper, but no point now given that you won't be there for long enough to take advantage of it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

I just went on to a website called time and date and it says the dialling code from Indonesia to australia is 001 not 0011. I use a Bali sim over there, so I use a different cheap code to dial Australia.

Good luck

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

Thanks guys. Very strange, it's still not working but he can send text messages. He even used the same phone in Europe last year with no problems. Oh well will just text or email instead.

BTW just sitting under the palm trees beside the pool here at the hotel - soooo lovely. Bright blue skies today! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

That is strange!

Palm tree, pool and blue skies, that sounds great! I hope to hear more about your trip when you return :)

Cheers

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

Try dailing just the mobile without the area code. i had the same issue in vietnam/cambodia

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

You must dial +61412345678 without spaces, no 001 or other prefix is required from a mobile phone (cellphone).

(However, if dialing using a local SIM there are much cheaper rates available if you use VOIP dialling prefixes, with the local SIM)

It you can send and receive SMS then it sounds like you have international roaming turned on but maybe it is not activating properly.

Which carrier is indicated on the screen?

If this continues go into the (network) phone settings and change the carrier.

You should find a choice of XL. Telkomsel, and Indosat.

Choose a different one to the one you have been logged onto and try making a call.

If you cannot log on to a local carrier then you have found your problem, and will need tocontact Telstra regarding your roaming settings.

Can you received calls?

If you wish to make calls to Australia buy a local SIM (about Rp5,000) for Telkomsel Simpati or XL, and use their VOIP international dialling prefix.

Local calls and international VOIP calls are very cheap.

International roaming with an AU carrier is horrendously expensive, both to receive and make calls.

Even an SMS will cost a round a dollar rather than around $0.05, that is twenty times more expensive.

Do a forum search, there are many posts on buying and using local SIM.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 21:27
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

None of these numbers have worked for me, can someone please give me a number that works? And can I call anytime or does it have to be during the day ?

Edited: 04 December 2012, 20:28
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

I always dial 0101761 then the mobile droping the 0....never had a problem...Debi from bali

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling Australia from Bali

Hi

I have an XL SIM card, and I'm trying to call a landline in Australia.

I'm dialing 01000618358 xxxx but it just keeps saying, the number is unavailable. Says the same for any Sa landline number I try to dial.

Reply to: Calling Australia from Bali
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted