We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

Dear all,

Went to the pharmacy to buy tropical strength (50% deet, as recommended) body spray and got quite a shock how expensive it was. Does anyone know if cheaper to buy in Bali (Sanur)? also how much would you suggest ill need for 3 week stay for two people? I can imagine going thru a fair bit of the stuff!

Same applies for room spray coils etc which have been recommended to me are they best to take or buy over there?

Thanks in advance!

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

Buy mozzie coils over there....cheap as chips.

Can buy electric ones with pads too....cheap as chips.

We buy mozzie patches now, $10 a box of 10 in kmart camping section.....lasts all day.4 boxes would do you both, I know it's $40 but 1 patch keeps mozzies away and you won't miss a spot. Easy as.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

You can't buy high-strength DEET repellents for personal use in Bali, you can get things like Autan or Off, but they're not high strength. Superdrug do a reasonable 30% DEET spray if you're not prepared to buy the 50% stuff. You can also find DEET wipes in various pound shops/Home Bargains if you're lucky, but I'm not sure of their effectiveness. For 3 weeks, I'd expect to use one bottle personally.

Certainly buy rooms spray in Bali, look for Baygon or Hit, you'd be looking at around £3.00 for a large can. Spray in the room, then leave the room for a good hour; it's nasty stuff but effective, not only for killing mossies, but also cockroaches, ants etc. Mossie coils are a cheap option (don't forget to buy the lighter too) if sitting outside on your balcony, or if you have an outdoor bathroom.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 02:55
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

* That is, one bottle each.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

Trudging home from work tonight (cold, rainy and miserable) I got thinking about my trip to Bali in two weeks...and mozzies too. I hadn't come across patches before; I've just done a quick web search and they seem to have mixed reviews. Do they do the business?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

We usually take a small can of Bushmans Deet to spray ourselves with in the evening then purchase coils and inscet repellent in Bali for a very small price.

We light the coils on the balcony in the early evening then spray our room with inscet spray before heading out in the evening.

Also most hotels spray and also have coils available for their guests.

Next trip i am going to give the patches a try,as i do not really like the oily feel to the Deet and applying a patch would be so much more simpler.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

Hi Perthlovetotravel.

Thanks! Im liking the sound of the patches,do you find them effective? I would have to track them down in the uk...other stuff as you say,buy in bali..

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

Hi Noodles

Thanks! I have seen the jungle formula at home bargains which was cheap enough but i was unsure if 30% would be strong enough? to be fair not willing to take the risk if the extra 20% makes all the difference.Not really wild about soaking all that deet into my pores for 3 weeks solid either for that matter but i wont even go there with the 'au natural stuff!!'Needs must i guess.

From a practical point of view, in view of the dengue mozzies operating, so to speak by day, how does that work with suntan lotion/swimming etc are you applying the mozzie spray regularly during the day too?

Also whilst we are on the subject....how far does one go in covering up in an evening these days?(i dont remember doing that at all in the 90s,saying that it wasnt rainy season...

Jeepers creepers!

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

I was alerted to them on here when the guys were talking about them bought from Singapore etc. I think Noodles and jade Du ??

We never had a mozzie come near us....and we would peel them off our collar or exposed bra/bra strap etc when we had evening showers and pop them back on when we dressed.

All I can say is they worked for us.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

family of 5 here in bali atm and no mozzie bites.

best way to keep them out is to turn on the a/c.

get the spray OFF when u get to bali. less than $1 and is amazing. we didnt even get bitten staying in rice paddy in ubud. no mozzies in room either.

hasnt been a problem at all.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mozzie protection rainy season ~ where to buy?

family of 5 here in bali atm and no mozzie bites.

best way to keep them out is to turn on the a/c.

get the spray OFF when u get to bali. less than $1 and is amazing. we didnt even get bitten staying in rice paddy in ubud. no mozzies in room either.

hasnt been a problem at all.