We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Member Interview - Sue C

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
TA Member Interview - Sue C

1. When was your first visit to Bali?

I think it has to be around 24/25 years ago. We stayed in Sanur. Still a special place for us. Back then there were dirt roads and it was so quiet. We loved it all and still have people from then, we say hello to when we pass through enroute to Candidasa...our Sanur these days.

2. Although you live closer to Bali than most of us, Broome is fairly remote. Is it difficult for you to get to Bali?

No, it's not hard to get to Bali from here. We can fly from here to Port Hedland with the local airline, Skywest and then onto Denpasar, or fly to Darwin and then onto Bali with Jetstar. There have been flights direct from Broome to Denpasar in the past and it's just under two hours from here...bliss. We flew on one of the last flights with Ansett and just wish a carrier would again take on this connection.

3. Apart from it just being a great holiday destination, what do you think draws you back to Bali?

It's always been about the people. The Balinese are such warm and welcoming people. We feel so lucky to have forged a friendship with our driver and his family over the past three years. Through them, we have seen a Bali, we never had the opportunity to be see before. Made and his lovely family have taken us places and included us in his family gatherings...we truly feel that we are family

4. Do you have any funny/embarrassing Bali moments that you would like to share?

Nothing's coming to mind, apart from the fact that I don't like haggling (I think most know this) and in the end, I just about pay more than was asked.....it always reminds me of Monty Python's Life of Brian and the haggling which goes on over a false beard...it's lost on me.

I guess what has often cut me up, is when I have been asked if I want my hair plaited - as it's short and curly, I can't iamgine what it would like, apart from a chunky pineapple....I have told a few ladies this and it has been received with a lot of silly giggles.

5. What do you miss most about Bali when you come home?

So many things....smells, (even the interesting ones), the light, (as it's so much softer there, than here in the Kimberley), the food...oh the food, the feeling of belonging, the comfort of returning to somewhere you feel completely at home, sailing in jakungs, the music, the flowers, birds and of course, the wonderful Balinese, their quiet voices, their smiles...probably the best hosts you could find on the planet.

6.Do you travel to other places in between trips to Bali?

Yes, we travel to and from Perth 4 or 5 times a year to see family. We also love to drive and have driven across to Cairns (lived there for almost a year), then to Darwin ( a 2 year stint) and then back to Broome. Last year we drove from Adelaide, including the Coorong (wonderful after all the rains, as I'm a bit of a bird watcher) and then along the Great Ocean Road and on to Melbourne. We hope to do it again....wonderful and we'd love to return to Europe some time too....but in the meantime, Bali sees us on average, twice a year.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

What a lovely read - thank you veejay and Sue for sharing.

And Sue, how wonderful to return to Bali and see people you've met years ago. I read you fondness of Balinese people very strongly.

Ps - how great those two hour flights would have been!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

Ha ha you'll have to get your hair plaited one day just for the photos, thanks for a great read.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

Sue,what a wonderful read.Thankyou.

You actually put into words why we all love Bali.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

Thanks veejay for interviewing such a lovely lady and thanks Sue, I really enjoyed your interview.

You certainly have quite a history with Bali, I wish I had seen Bali 25 years ago!

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

Thanks Veejay and Sue, another great interview.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

Sue, my kids used to hate to haggle to, but now do quite a good job of it. I'm happy to do it, and try to always leave with a happy shop owner.

What is your favorite thing to do in Candidasa, and what is your favourite restaurant?

7. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2017, 06:05
SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

Thanks Sue and VJay for a great read and thanks Sue for all your advise over the years I have learn't so much about Bali from you.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

Thanks veejay and Sue - another lovely read and nice to learn a little more about my Bali TA friend who has helped me so much in planning my first upcoming visit:)

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Member Interview - Sue C

thanks ladies another great interview

cheers john