We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

Hi, Love this forum and know will all minds put together you may be able to help me. My lovely dad is a business owner and works alone. Unfortunatley he has no one to help him and HAS to make and receive calls when on holiday. He has never travelled overseas due to the cost of mobile calls whislt overseas. He would make and receive around 70 calls a day. He is happy to come to bali....and work from there so he can see his grandchildren play in pool and come out to dinner with us. He will also get some time with us in the evening and on the weekends. What options do we have? I know he can buy a sim in bali which is what I did to make calls but he needs to have his business number active. We will be in a villa so it has wifi...so no problems there. HELP!

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

if he needs his number then you cant use a local sim which is cheapest option.

Probably skype if you have free wifi, but when out and about, he will have to have his phone.

I think there is a phone card for travellers that he could use (maybe allows his number), but I am not familiar with it.

Hopefully someone else can help on that one.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 11:01
Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

It's very easy and inexpensive to make calls out.

Get a local Indonesian SIM card. Telkomsel's SImpati has good coverage. Get some pulsa (credit) onto it. You can buy pulsa from about 15k up to mulitples of 100 at a time. Calls to Australia using the following method cost about 1000 rupiah a minute (12c).

Dial 01017 before the Australian country code (61) then drop the '0' before the mobile number or state code.

eg you want to dial an Australian mobile # 0412 345 678

dial.... 01017 61 412 34 5678.

You want to call Brisbane (state code 07) number 3123 4567

dial.... 01017 61 7 31234567.

If he needs to have his business number active to receive calls, then he will need to use the hideously expensive roaming but he should NEVER use it to call people back.

He's probably best off to advise his regular customers to text him and he can call them back immediately, or just take their number if a new one calls him, and call them back. If you have wifi he could also use Skype or another VOIP of his choice to return calls.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

Make sure he gets this right otherwise he could be up for thousands of $. Even receiving calls can be expensive.

70 is a lot. If it wasn't that many I would suggest leaving a message on his phone asking callers to send a text. Then call them back on the Bali SIM card. But that many calls a day would drive him crazy.

I'd suggest shopping around for a good international carrier where he can use his own number.

I'm getting an Iphone now so people can Email me instead. We nearly had our holiday ruined recently. Luckily we checked our Email.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

I think I missed this post first time around, it's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

:)

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

A few years ago I had roaming and recieved a few calls while in Bali. From memory the calls I got cost about $4/5 each. I've never done it again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

you can try http://www.onesimcard.com/?idmenu=2 I am very happy with the service,and the good think is people are calling your cell/mobile number.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

Some of the prepaid companies have some good deals at at the moment with vouchers that include money towards international roaming. (I can't remember which ones) He can then port his phone number to one of these companies (as long as he isnt still locked into a contract) use the phone with them while he is overseas and then port back when he gets home - if he wants to.

Alternatively there may be an option to forward calls from his mobile to the Bali sim that might be cheaper. The best way for him to find out is actually go and see his phone carrier - a lot of the time the people in the shops are really knowledgable about these things and will be able to help him work it out.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

Your dad is nuts. 70 calls a day and no assistant ? What is he ? Nuts ? Yes, Nuts ! Sounds like he thinks only he can do anything right. If he can't take a holiday with no calls, I'm sorry, but he is a lousy businessman.

Get him to organise a phone answering machine or message service that he can dial into from Bali using his local sim card. That way the people calling him don't get charged international call fees, don't need to know his new number, and he can ring home cheaply once an hour, get the messages, then call back using his bali sim.

Nuts !

Frankston Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

I would not go as far as call your dad nuts, but he certainly is a committed workaholic.

Organising an answering service for a week is not an expensive option and is still a professional way of doing business. His clients will be talking to a live person not a recording. He can then use cheap Bali sim card and ring in and return calls.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to make mobile calls to Australia from Bali?

Hi am going to live in Ubud next year for 6 months. I am a contract marketing appointment setter not a telemarketer and need to make at least 20-30 calls a day for up to 15 hours week. Is it cheaper to buy a mobile phone and how much credit should I apply to my phone. I will be earning good money so what do you suggest please