We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
tipping

can any one tell me how much to tip

the maid which I leave every day

restaurants and bars

porters at the hotel

the driver and guide, which wil pick us up at the ariport

I know what some wil say search the forum, I even found my old post on tipping from 2 years ago.......

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

There are no maids, but if you feel you should leave money for the staff who clean your room every day, don't go overboard. Some feel it is better to tip at the end of a stay, usually around 50.000 per week. I don't actually believe in tipping just for the sake of it and as the 'room boys' can change daily I am not inclined to do so in this case. Tipping each day so that the 'room boys ' WILL do a good job seems odd to me.

In restaurants it is entirely up to you what you tip. many places now have an added 10 to 21% added onto your bill in which case you may just like to round off the bill to the nearest 10-50.000rp.

If you asked this 2 years ago then the advice will not have changed so I would have a read of the advice offered then.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

Regarding room cleaners in the hotel I just leave 10,000rp each day under my pillow so who ever cleans gets the tip.

For taxi drivers I just round things up for example if the trip is 17,000rp round up to 20,000rp. With a day long driver I generally give 50,000rp.

Same as previous suggestion regarding restaurants.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

i only tip when a tip is earned, i dont tip as a princable or as part of a negotiation

if i received good service in a restaurant and a nice meal then i round the bill up for the kitchen staff but i will also tip the waitress seperately,i feel a great massage deserves a good tip likewise with a driver ive had all day that goes out of his way to help but i wont tip for run of the mill service i do tip the hotel staff that have gone the extra mile and the cleaning staff at the end of a stay "if i know who they are"

cheers john

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

just a word of warning - the 21% tax is 11 % for the govt - and 10% service fee - just ask the staff if they get the service fee as some places hang on to itself themselves.

If staff go out of the way to do a great job, I tip.

Normally leave 50 000 for the room staff when I leave, and normally give the bar and pool staff a tip when I leave if they have been good at there job.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

How many of you tip hotel room staff in other parts of the world I wonder :) :)

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
802 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

We tip 20,000 ( woweee AUD $2 ) per day for room cleaners and usually get extra water bottles : )

with taxis we round the fare up, they really appreciate it ( most of them work 14 hour shifts, and thats a lot of stress in Bali traffic )

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping

I agree with Linda, and only tip when service has been more than expected. I also make sure to hand the tip directly to the person it is intended for, rather than just leave it for them to find - in case someone else gets to it first.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

I agree with Linda, and only tip when service has been more than expected. I also make sure to hand the tip directly to the person it is intended for, rather than just leave it for them to find - in case someone else gets to it first.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping

good point linda52 i never thought about that before,i have never tipped cleaning staff before going to Bali ,i will have to give that one more thought before the next trip,thanx

cheers john

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping

thanks for the replies, got to say linda52 I always tip the hotel room staff, every day.....

Left money every day we were in bali last time, got extra water and stuff