We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

learning indonesian in Bali

Tokyo, Japan
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
learning indonesian in Bali

In a couple of weeks I will have 1 month of free time. I would like to use it for something meaningful.

And I thought that going to Bali to learn Indonesian would be a great idea (I already know some by self-study).

I thought it was a good idea but I also realise that being a tourist location may have some possible problems:

- Everyone knows English so why should they struggle using Indonesian?

- Everyone speaks Balinese instead of Indonesian

- Everything will be thus written down and explained using English or Balinese

- I will be one foreigner more, not very interesting to talk to.

So now I fear that I will be at Bali unable to find someone who would use Indonesian with me.

What would you think about this plan?

I am serious about learning the language, although I also have chosen Bali for obvious reasons (good landscapes, culture, etc).

Or there is other place you would recommend ?

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

Indonesians appreciate it when you learn their language.

IALF, in Denpasar, have many courses depending on your needs.

www.ialf.edu

I have studied Indonesian at a number of places and IALF is the best.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

The Balinese people are incredibly good at being able to communicate with visitors to their island from many parts of the world. They manage to communicate with those of us who speak English and then can manage to speak with those from non-english speaking countries.

If anything, (in my opinion), I would concentrate on learning Bahasa Indonesian, rather than Balinese - far more difficult and Bahasa Indonesian will probably serve you better in the long run.

Yes, in the more touristy areas they do communicate well in English, but the Balinese people do appreciate when you do speak to them in Indonesian or if you decide to do the study, Balinese.

It is lovely of you to put in the time to be able to communicate well with the Balinese people. Good on you.

Tokyo, Japan
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

I will be going from March 20th to April 14th or so, and it seems their courses finish on March 23rd and start at April 8th ;(

Tokyo, Japan
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

When I start talking totally broken Indonesian and noone understands it maybe we will just use English !

That is what I fear

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,485 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

A lot of Balinese who work in the tourism industry (assuming that's the majority of people you will meet) speak Japanese, or are learning it. You might see if anyone would help you practice youIndonesian if you help them with their Japanese. And Balinese are used to tourists garbling their pronounciation and grammar. I would not worry about it.

If you look at Bali Advertiser or other publications there are other language courses availalble in Bali, private and group lessons.

Just go and have fun and enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

The Balinese are a wealth of knowledge that they love to share, you will be spoilt for choices of people you will be happy to chat with you in any language. Anywhere from the boy on the beach, your driver on a day trip or even just sitting on the step of a local shop chating to the person working in the shop. Most speak Bahasa Indonesia and will be happy to educate you. Good luck.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

I downloaded the ebooks and lessons from learningindonesian.com or try freelanguage.org . I burnt lessons to a cd and listen on the way to and from work , then while I'm in Bali try talk Bahasa Indonesia as much as possible

Tokyo, Japan
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

So far I have found 2 academies in Bali :

http://www.learnindonesianinbali.com in Seminyak

and

http://www.cintabahasa.com/ in Ubud

I have never been in Bali so I don't know where would be a better place.

If anyone has any experience with those academies (or others) or know the place and can give me some advise it will be very helpful :)

Tokyo, Japan
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

ubudpuppy: I am not Japanese although I can speak. So I think they will be very surprised if I start talking in Japanese ! :D

BrisbanyLizzy: Everyone says people in Bali is really nice, and I am sure they are, I am just very shy so maybe it will be difficult for me to make friends.

freakybudboi: So you learned Indonesian before going to Bali? How was the experience?

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: learning indonesian in Bali

Hi

Jogjakarta is an excellent place to learn Indonesian.

Try the "Wisma Bahasa" that offers excellent courses. The tuition is one- on- one and customised to your needs and budget.

There is a wealth of culture in Jogjakarta with good value accomodation and food. Besides the usual Borobodur/Prambanan spiel, there are good cultural performances every night in the city.

Bali isn't quite Indonesia and Indonesia is not quite Bali. IMHO. Baliphiles will no doubt jump at me for saying that, but it is true. You won't hear travelers looking for the "real Indonesia" in Jogja the way that people ask to look for the "real Bali" in Bali.