We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
10 helpful votes
Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Hi

Further from my last post still researching Bali :)

What I cant find out is what we should be budgeting to spend once we are in Bali

Whilst i appreciate this is hard to advise at it depends what we do etc

BUT can anyone advise what the rough cost of eating out is etc, If we stay in one of the main hotels how much would they charge to eat at the hotel?

Any help much appreciated!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
43 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Hotels and resorts are generally more expensive than eating out. There are many dining options is Bali, so it really depends on what you like and how much you want to spend. It really is hard to place an exact figure on what you'll need to budget, as it depends on your taste, and also what you like to drink. Wine for example is expensive in Bali, but beer is cheap.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
28 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Bit like the question how long is a peice of string :).

We and I will very loosly use the word "budget" for the two of us AUD100 per day not including shopping. That includes lunch and dinner, alcohol massages cabs etc.

That usually gets us through a normal bludgey day. Then we see something that looks like fun and that all gets thrown by the wayside and we have to visit an ATM.

You can pay 30,000rp for lunch or 500,000rp. Just depends what you want to do. The cost of alcohol comparitively is through the roof so just be aware that a few beers at lunch will be more than the cost of the actual lunch.

Simple things can save you money though eg buy a long kneck instead of two small beers and share. Buy three mains and share instead of seperate entrees and mains ect. Hire a driver for the day instead of multiple taxi fares if you are going to do any sort of distances and want to move about a bit. You may only be saving 100,000Rp here and there but it all does add up at the end of the week.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
200 reviews
60 helpful votes
3. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Whilst you can spend as much or as little as you like the average cost of meals is around 45,000 for indonesian food such as mei goreng and then can go up to about 80,000-100,000 for a western main. This is in the main restaurants in the tourist areas. Out of the tourist areas is always cheaper. There are also some much more expensive restaurants in seminyak where you can spend about the same as australian prices.

We were paying about 25-30,000 for beers and they are cheaper from the 7 elevens if you want to take any back to your room. Cocktails are around 50,000-75,000 in alot of places and many offer 2 for 1 at happy hour and some restaurants in legain do 2 for 1 cocktails lla night.

Wine is very expensive.

I couldnt really tell you how much to budget with as we are a family of 4 so spend a bit more then the average couple.

I think you could safely work on $10 for a meal & a drink if you dont go any where really extravagant. Obviousl the more you drink the bigger the bill.

I was over there with 2 of my girlfriends in january and we drank cocktails for 4 hours at a bar and just before we stumbled out of there there we paid a bill of $70 australian dollars. Thats $23 each and we had so many we were really regretting it the next day. In australia $23 would buy you 2 cocktails if your lucky.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
4. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Hi CharlieBoy

We budget $100day(couple)and we are also more 'budget' when it comes to eating. We don't worry about eating 'lunch' as such, but do stop when out and about for a beer/drink and may have a snack eg satays/spring rolls,prawn cocktail.(Hubby takes his duty free Scotch)We take cash & don't use ATM's.

We don't shop for the Bali beachwear(Bintang t/shirts,etc)these days,or for 'gifts' for children,friends 'n' family.(tend to do that your first couple of times)

Next trip may do a day trip or two, and stay in another area for a couple of nights,we take friends out for meals, & will do a cooking class.Will buy 2bed quilts, cushion covers, silver jewellery, ?clothes, ?shoes, ?handbag/wallet.

5 main meals at a hotel restaurant beachfront Legian,3juice drinks,1ice tea, 3cokes,1sml Bintang,1large Bintang,1dessert, 436,000rup(no added tax)

Warungs off Poppies lanes/Kuta 1juice, 1pancake, 21,550rup(no tax)

1milkshake, 2juice drinks, 2main meals, 45,000rup(no tax)

Rest on Jl Kartika Plaza in Tuban Bali Hai beer, Nasi goreng 83,160rup (15%tax)

Hotel Rest beachfront Kuta,1main meal, 2drinks(juice & fruit punch)82,000rup+tax 94,710rup

Cheaper hotel rest on Jl Pantai Kuta, 2juice drinks, main meal, 60,000rup(no tax)

Warung in Legian 1seafood cocktail, chicken cordon bleu,1coke 96,800(tax 10%)

Warung in Tuban 2meals, 1coke, 1 juice 60,000rup(no tax)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
5. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Oops, and should have said don't charge anything to a credit card.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
117 reviews
129 helpful votes
6. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

We budget $100 a day for the 2 of us and $150 for 3. Things are going up in price but then the reta is higher too....so this hardly changes and for years we seem to get by on that.

We always have breakfast included in hotel.

We buy lunch and dinner but eat at the cheaper warungs and an example would be 10 000rp for a nsai goreng compared to 40 000 in a "better" looking place or 80 000 in a flasher place

We never eat western food either..

So a meal for the 3 of us with a drink each usually comes to between 70 000 and 100 000rp. ($8 to $11). But sometimes it might cost 200 000 for the 3 of us and thats still only $22

I don't drink but husband does.

I shop and he doesn't :)

The 3 of us enjoy a massage daily but we pay 50 000 rp in a little local salon rather than visit a spa which might charge 80 000 to much much more in a luxurious place.

We usually do a couple of trips.

change the money daily so you wont run out :)

Southern...
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
68 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

The other comments are correct. We have always had breakfast included in the price of accommodation. Lunch is usually a snack and beer, and dinner was never in the hotel. For two people you could pay anything from ten to thirty quid for lunch and dinner. Eating at the hotel could add 50%

Albany Creek...
Level Contributor
414 posts
22 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Thanks for all that info - very helpful everyone. Heading over for the first time in 30 years in May with a girlfriend but need to know from greent007 - where did you have those cocktails?

cairns
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

I love reading the posts of how much to budget, I haven't been to bali for 20 years so I find them very helpful

this is how I will budget, for myself and teen daughter, 100.00 Aus per day, and change each day, as suggested by others, what ever is left over at the end of the week after tours and eating is our shopping money, so yes budgeting carefully, by reading other posts I think we will be ok on this amount per day

Perth, Western...
5 posts
10. Re: Food Prices and Costs of doing things??

Can I ask you roughly what you budgeted a day with your family of 4, I have a family of 5 and its our first time going to Bali.