We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday - best place to stay

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Family holiday - best place to stay

Hi we are a family of 4, 14yo & 12yo. We have never been to Bali before and are planning on going in October. Do not know where to stay. Want something with great swimming for the kids, pampering for me and just a great place overall. Although do not want to stay where all the young ones stay. Grateful for any advice.

Perth
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

Hi there! What is your budget and what do you intend to do in Bali? Have you decided which area you would like to stay?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

Firstly the budget I'm not quite sure, people have said Villas are great as if I can get a two bedroom place it would be fantastic. If we stayed at a resort we would get two interconnecting rooms. Its so hard looking at them on websites. We want to have a look around, do some shopping and generally just get a basic first hand look so that we can go back again later. We would preferably like somewhere on the beach, one of the nice ones. As I haven't been its very hard. thanks.

Perth
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

If you want nice beach front, Sanur beach is lovely. I'd recommend Bali Hyatt if you budget permits, as it is beautiful. They also provide a free shuttle service to their sister hotel in Nusa Dua, another nice beach, where you can use their facilities. Enjoy doing your research!

bali.resort.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp…

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

Thank you for this.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
317 reviews
5. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

To help you decide what hotel / villa to choose it may help you if you know a little more about some of the beach areas. Sanur is a lovely place to stay, a great place for families. The beach here is safe for swimming, (best at high tide) there is a great paved footpath all along the beach front so you can all get around safely on pushbikes, there is also water sports located here (a few minutes walk from the Bali hyatt). There are plenty of shops, restaurants and cheap places for massages and beauty treatments. It only takes approx 20 minutes to get there from the airport and is about the same distance from the busy area of kuta etc. Sanur has many good hotels directly on the beach or within a few minutes walk so it is an ideal place for you.

You then have Tuban, Kuta, Legian and then Seminyak which is closer to the airport, is much busier than Sanur, still loads of shops and restaurants but the beach here has surfing waves, beautiful sunsets and you need to be cautious of strong rips. There are some lovely resorts DIRECTLY on the beach front at Tuban, and Seminyak but resorts in kuta and legian are across the street. There is also the beach at Jimbaran Bay and also Nusa Dua. Nusa Dua hotels are set away from the local village (local shops and restaurants) in a private enclave and Jimbaran does not have a lot of shopping or a huge range of restaurants like the other areas.

You also have much quieter areas like Candi Dasa, Amed, Lovina etc but for a first time holiday Sanur, Tuban, Legian or Seminyak would probably suit you better.

If you stay at a hotel you get a different experience and your kids can mix with others and there are more facilities. Villas are good, quieter and private but only you can decided what suits your families needs.

If you can give an idea of budget then we can suggest some accommodation. Until then look at hotels in each area I recommended and see what appeals.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

Hi,

First time travelers may want to browse www.itravelindonesia.com as it has some handy write ups on the different beaches in Bali. It will give you an overll flavour of what to expect.

Sanur is the obvious choice if you are traveling with kids that age. Sanur has calm waters, a clean broad sandy beach, and a promenade for good walks.

Otherwise, Tuban (in particular Febri's and Discovery) have managed the "keeping children happy" down pat.

Happy planning.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

Thank you for that advice it was helpful. I went to the travel agent and they suggested to me Melia Bali Villas & Spa at nusa dua also the Novotel. As I said to them that i am after a resort not simply a hotel. Am really after something with a few swimming pools, restaurants, lovely gardens and preferably on the beach. If anyone has stayed there would appreciate comments. Thanks

perth
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

hello carolinel65,

we are staying at melasti beach resort and spa in may (me, hubby, 3 kids 4,6,10)and have got a family suite 2 bed leeps 5 for $160 a night inc brekky .

its right on the beach(legian) has 3 pools kid playground spa and resterants it looks awesome maybe look that 1 up.

good luck

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

I would also suggest the Hyatt at Sanur, we just stayed at Peneeda View next door to the Hyatt with five kids ranging in age from 8 years to 15 years old and they all loved the area. Griya Santrian is also lovely.

I love Nusa Dua but can't imagine spending more than a few nights there, as you just miss out on so much of the Balinese vibe.

perth wa
Level Contributor
251 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Family holiday - best place to stay

We have just come back from our fourth trip to Bali and stayed five nights at the Hyatt in Sanur and five nights at Alam Indah in Ubud. I cannot praise the Bali Hyatt enough. It is beautifulwith a real Balinese feel; with lovely pools, fantastic, large garden, excellent breakfasts and wonderful service. It is large but there are plenty of sun loungers and a fantastic kids club. Local artists present their art work each day and my children paited their our eggs and carved with a gamelan playing behind them. There is a courtesy bus to the Grand Hyatt at Nusa Dua. I would not stay here, there is no sense of the real Bali here- beautiful beach though. My children are 8 and 10 and we felt comfortable letting our 10 year old boy ride a bike on the footpath that runs the length of Sanur. It was our first time in Sanur and we will definately go back to the Bali Hyatt and Sanur.

Maybe you can split your holiday up into two places? We booked the Bali Hyatt through their web site and the second room for the kids was half price. Excellent value. Happy planning!