We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunisations - Necessary ?

Tasmania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Immunisations - Necessary ?

Hi All,

I love to live spontaneously..... and I literally decided to go to Bali for 8 nights on Thursday night and booked the tickets on Friday.

This doesn't suit well with trying to get to a doctor for a recommendation on immunisations etc.

Are they absolutely necessary, I honestly do not have a record on what I have had done in my life, I will be 20 when I get back from Bali.

If it is necessary, I found that the Melbourne airport does immunisations, has anyone done it here before, that might be the only chance I get.

Cheers,

MiFFMaN

Bunbury
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunisations - Necessary ?

If you had all your childhood immunisations your Tetanus should be still OK for a bit. Vaccinations take time to be effective up to 2 weeks for some and others such as Hep A and Hep B are a course that will take a few months so no point worrying about it now. Good idea to see your GP for advise in case of future spontaneous trips !!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,941 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunisations - Necessary ?

There's a one-shot Hep A/B needle called Vivaxim iirc on the market now, much cheaper than the old course one. In your shoes I'd call my GP to see if it could be arranged ASAP- having HepA/B never goes astray.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 03:56
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunisations - Necessary ?

It is personal choice Miffman, some will get them, personally I don't bother unless there is a high risk and I travel with multiple children. The kids do get their hep shots at school though. Tetnus is another matter though and if you think your not covered I would top this up.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immunisations - Necessary ?

As Lizzy mentioned, at your age you should have recieved hep shots at school.

It really is too late for this trip, just be cautious, don't go too far off the beaten track.

And if spontaneous trips are going to be the norm, get the shots on your return so you are all set for next time, as I personally wouldn't travel in Asia without coverage for Typhoid.

But love your attitude, good for you. Have a wonderful trip.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Immunisations - Necessary ?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Looks like I will be living on the edge during my trip, and yes I should really get the immunizations done when I return as i might do this again on day!

Looking forward to my first visit to Bali in two days time!

6. Re: Immunisations - Necessary ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 16:44