We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy digital camera from local store or duty-free store??

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Buy digital camera from local store or duty-free store??

I have looked into buying a Kodak Easyshare digital camera from a store in Sydney as there are none at any of the retail stores in my local town. However there is one thing I am curious about and am not sure if I am doing the right thing. I am purchasing this camera for myself to take with me on my overseas trip in June. I am unsure if I am allowed to purchase it from the retailer or does it have to be from a duty-free store? Also if I end up buying it from a retailer, can I request for a tax invoice to claim a tax/duty/gst through the customs before departing Australia?

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy digital camera from local store or duty-free store??

Your local store is the best. Duty free shops have high rents and do not usually offer better prices. Don't forget you can claim your GST as a refund.

Have you checked on line at Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, Camera House etc ?

Edited: 22 January 2011, 23:46
Perth
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy digital camera from local store or duty-free store??

Hi, I heard that you can only purchase 30 days before departure to get your GST back. Just check that before buying. It is only 10% that you get back but it better in your pocket that the government

All the best

Deb

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy digital camera from local store or duty-free store??

You can buy within 30 days of departure and get back your gst at the airport , but you need the camera and what ever else you bought (camera case , memory card)and the receipt with you and a credit card or bank account . But the purchase has to be over $300 I think

I bought a camera at harvey norman with a memory card and got $50 off and another $50 at the airport . well worth the effort .

Edited: 23 January 2011, 07:26
victoria
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy digital camera from local store or duty-free store??

have you thought about Ebay. bought a camera before Xmas and saved $350 ended up being 1/2 price..

5. Re: Buy digital camera from local store or duty-free store??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2012, 18:26