We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta or Bali

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Jakarta or Bali

Hi, I am still in the planning phase of a four weeks holiday to SEA starting on the 23rd, and I am planning on spending a week in Indonesia and then a few days in Singapore and the rest in Malaysia (east coast).

Looking at flights, the pricing for Bali or Jakarta is the same and I am wondering which city offers better experience, I am more into sightseeing and a bit of adventure and not interested in the night life or the beach.

Please advise as time is running out for me to book flights.

Thanks

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta or Bali

Bali is your best bet. Plenty to see and do. Jakarta is more for business people, not tourists on limited time.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta or Bali

Hi, Just returned from both Bali and Jakarta. Jakarta does have some interesting "must see" points. The National Museum, the National Monument, and Taman Mini Indonesia Park were all quite interesting. Lots of restaurants and plenty of shopping. Bali has beaches, shopping, and plenty of tourists. It depends on what you really want to get out of the trip. I'm a museum buff and also like to interact. with different cultures. What ever you do, have a great time.

Edited: 14 January 2011, 16:26
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jakarta or Bali

Thanks, I think I have decided to book flight to Bali and than onwards to Singapore. I will be staying in Bali for a few days or more if needed to do some sightseeing and a bit of adventure like white water rafting. I will come to Jakarta on my return and will book the return flight from Jakarta to Melbourne.

Where do you recommend I stay in Bali, I am not a fan of night life or the beach (plenty nice ones here in Aus) so not sure if Kuta will be for me. I am reading as much as I can and what about Ubud? Is it worth staying there for the duration or spread it over different places based on the attractions?

Please recommend some must see and things to do in Bali, I know the link and it's quite long.

Thanks

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta or Bali

Bali way over Jakarta any day!!! By the sounds of what you like, I would definitely stay in Ubud. It's quieter than Kuta, Legian and Seminyak, is in the beautiful countryside, has fabulous markets and restaurants and is a great place to base yourself for day trips.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jakarta or Bali

Thanks for the info, I will be basing myself in Ubud, however how long should I stay here? I want to move on if not necessary as I would like to wind down towards the end of my trip and just lay back for a good few days.

What about Kintamani or similar places? Is it worth visiting and how far is it from Ubud? What is the better form of transport.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta or Bali

Anyone on what other activities to do in Bali? First time visiting so please help. I am still reading the things to do list but it's hard to pick from such long list.

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta or Bali

Hi saiah,

Regarding things to do it really depends on what interests you personally as there are a variety of things to do in bali!

Regarding transport, if you plan out some things that you want to do and try and group them somewhat closer together you would be better off starting early, hiring a driver for the day and check out those things. There are plenty of them, and plenty of information on the forums.

8. Re: Jakarta or Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 17:23