We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Our Second trip.

Sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Our Second trip.

Our second trip to Bali and we love it even more!!! We travelled with others and as a group were 6 adults and 5 children.

Flew with Garuda from Sydney this time. Great choice. Full service on flight and arrive in beautiful Bali at 2.30pm with a whole extra afternoon and evening to enjoy. Waited in immigration probably about 20-30 minutes, then straight out to meet our driver. Flight home much quicker!

Stayed at Beach Melati Apartments and loved it. Perfect for our family of 5, we had a two bedroom apartment with everything we need, complete kitchen, airconditioning, plenty of space! Pool was great. Staff were amazing, friendly and helpful. Location was perfect for us too, so close to beach and to street. No hesitation in recommending or staying again.

Things we did:

Anika Cooking School – arranged this from home for the 3 husbands, they loved the experience, especially the local market tour and the lunch. They were picked up from apartment at 7am and returned about 2pm.

Day Trip to Bedugul, Lake Bratan and Git Git waterfall – We had not planned this trip but was suggested to us and we loved it. Arranged a driver for the day. Tried to stop and pick strawberries but wrong season, oops!! Stopped at Lake Bratan, also stopped on mountain to feed monkeys, then on to Git Git waterfall. On way back stopped at stall with huge snake, bats, lizards, mongoose etc! Great photo opportunity unless you are terrified of snakes like me!

Waterbom Park – Couldn’t resist another day here! Kids loved it even though they were too light for new ride.

Safari Park – Our first time here and it was great. Bought Jungle Hopper package which included one photo, one safari and one ride at fun park. $35US each We arrived early which suited us as we had no queues for photo’s or tours. By the time we had completed most things, it was really getting busy. Glad we went early!

Fishing Charter – Men arranged this on beach. No show the first day, driver apparently at wrong hotel. Tried again the next day. Driver turned up and they went out from Nusa Dua. No fish as had to turn back due to sea sickness!!

Putu’s Beach Bar, Legian Beach – Discovered the simple pleasure of sitting at “beach bar” drinking cold bintang and fending off beach sellers while watching the kids surf, swim and play soccer. A great way to spend lazy afternoons!

Shopping –Came away with some great stuff. Lot’s of market type clothes etc from Dianne’s Fixed Price Shop and many other stalls. Silver from all different places too.

Nice leather bags from Mira Leather and Merry’s Collection.

Had suits for Husband and sons made at Edelweiss, only tailor able to make due to Ramadan. One son’s and husbands suit perfect at first fitting in only 3 days, other sons took 3 fittings was great in end.

Spent a morning with driver looking at Surf Factory Outlets so have some great bargains. Also found Biarritz Homewares on Sunset Road. Excellent for bits and pieces, similar stock as Genevas.

Food

The Coffee Shop – First of all, must say how much we loved this place especially the staff. So friendly and helpful! We ate most breakfasts and lunches here as well as endless snacks, delivered to our apartment or around the pool. Food was fantastic and prices unbeatable.

Queens of India – Tuban and Seminyak – tried out both this time, same menu, different chef. I had same dish at both restaurants, both different but both great! Same, Same but different as they say in Bali.

Poco Loco – Nice Mexican and right across the road!

Drops – Ribs were terrific! Other food great too.

Blue Ocean – Loved the crispy chicken here! Also Indonesian Lamb (goat) was delicious.

Mozzarellas – Great food, excellent service

Goody’s – We ended up here twice, pizza’s were great, unfortunately both times my meal was not.

Warung Asia, Food Ok, not great though!

Joni’s Restaurant – We prearranged to have Babi Guling for our entire group here and it was absolutely wonderful, a whole suckling pig presented on a table full of other dishes, soup for starters, Indonesian salad, rice and satay sticks and fruit for dessert. It was an amazing meal!

La Monde – Great food!

Indo-National – Chilli Crab for 90,000RP! Unbelievable value. Great service here too.

Mugshots Coffee – Became a regular stop for a quick coffee or even takeaway.

Gabah Restaurant – Only place in Bali we didn’t get good service. Drinks took so long (almost 30 mins) that we left without ordering food.

Many other places and plenty of street vendors too, can’t remember all the names but overall the food was great!

Sorry if this was too long or boring but I really enjoy reading other peoples experience and thought I would give a taste of ours.

Thanks to all the regulars who contribute to this forum who made researching this holiday all part of the fun! Can’t wait till next time! Happy to answer any questions!!

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

I think you had the quintessential Bali holiday. Roll on November - or can I start counting now?

It was good to note that no one became sick - or did you just keep that to yourself?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

thanks for such a comprehensive report, i really enjoyed all the details!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,548 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

Great report thanks and I liked the restaurant recommendations.

Same, same, but different indeed.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

Hi maria7

Many thanks for your JBR - great to read that you love Bali just as much the second time around - just wait until you return from your next trip, which you are probably planning right now?

Cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

Liccylaccy - All had a turn at "not feeling the best" or "needing to be near a toilet" but most of us did not let this interfere with anything else! Just carried on having fun!

ilab - yes, you are absolutely correct, already planning where we want to go next time, just need to figure out when!!

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

Hi Maria7,

I enjoyed reading your JBR and found it uplifting and easy to read, sounds like you had a fantastic trip. Definitely not too long or boring!

I love all your restaurant recommendations. I have been to Mozzarella, Indonational and Blue Ocean and have also enjoyed their meals and service. Had great pizza and pasta's at Goody's too but their seafood was the worst I have had in Bali, is this what you had? Was going to try La Monde but didn't end up walking in, what sort of food do they have?

Where is the Coffee Shop? Is it in Legian?

Thanks

Edited: 27 September 2010, 17:13
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

Maria, you made me feel as if I was back there, as so many of the places you mentioned we went to as well, Mugshot, Muri's, Merry's, Mozzeralla, Blue Ocean. We went to Gabah's and had the most dreadful food, so thank your lucky stars. We have booked to go back in June and are so excited again. I'm glad your Bali Belly was not too bad. Hope you rebook again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

Your report made me smile, I loved it. I was imaging sitting at a beach bar watching the kids play and swim Thank you.

Sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

Gabbyo - At Goody's I had an Indonesian dish the first time which tasted a lot like a "Kantong" bottled sauce and second time Chicken Caesar Salad, which two others tried and couldn't swallow it. I will know to stick to pizza and pasta.

La Monde offered all sorts of food, I had Indonesian, others had pizza etc, so quite a range.

The Coffee Shop is in Padma Utara next to Ramada. Great meals and coffee good too!

Thanks.

Perth
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Our Second trip.

What a great read. Can you tell me more about where you stayed, was it close enough to the beach and what was the beach like at this end. Was the pool to warm? Have stayed in Villas before and found that not alot of breeze comes thru with the walls all the way around? thank you