We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Hi I have read a few threads re ATMS and Credit Cards. Most threads seemd to mention Visa/Credit cards.

I was wanting to know if it's acceptable to use a Westpac Debit card which is actually a Mastercard, not a Visa - both to withdraw money and to pay for meals etc.

Thanks in advance.

x

S

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Hi,

Don't think it matters whether it's Visa or Mastercard, debit cards can be used in ATMs and as payment in those places that accept credit cards. At least, that is my experience.

Have a great time.

Wendy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Yep not a problem using mastercard as a credit card or from an ATM. Some ATMs may not work but just go to the next machine, and you will be fine.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Thanks heaps, I thought it would be OK but no harm in asking I always say!

Bali
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

It won't be any problem in withdrawing money from ATM machine in Bali.Before you withdraw money make sure that The ATM machine use 100000 bill instead of 50000.

As the bank normally charge 35000 fee for one time withdraw.With 50000 bill you only can withdraw maximum

1250000,100000 bill you can withdraw 2500000.If need more money you don't have to pay the fee twice.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Thanks again, this multiple 000000000 thing is going to be sooo confusing!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Hey Sambambino

Do you know wot the aussie westpac charges are for withdrawing with yr debit mastercard?

I have one also and am trying to decide whether to use westpac or commonwealth.

I found out yesterday that CBA charge $5 + 2% od withdrawl for using yr savings card, but only $4 OR 1.25% of withdrawl, so works out much cheaper to use the debit mastercard for withdrawls.

Just wondering if the fees for westpac are even better than that, then I will use that instead.

Tks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Westpac charges seem very similar to CBA for mastercard. It works out to about $5 per withdrawal when I use mine.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Lienta means if you use BCA ATM machine, which is the best and have many ATMs around. For other banks the policy is different.

Hope it helps,

Sandra

Forrestfield
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Hi,

You must inform Westpac card centre that you are going overseas and where as they watch your card while you are away, this is a must do with Westpac.

Daughter had to do this with Westpac before she left for Eroupe, the states then for Bali. These were 3 seprate trips, they wanted to know dates etc. If they see your card being used in foriegn country and you haven't informed them, then they will cancel the card. Westpac card services will ask you for a mobile number while you are away.

Before cancelling your card they will try and contact you first but if they can't get a hold of you then they may cancel it, if you haven't informed them first.

In actual fact most banks want this information prior to people going overseas because of the high rate of fruad.

I thought you should know this before you go.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westpac Debit Card (Mastercard)

Thank you Setmac I didn't realise that. I will go in and let them know our travel details.