We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

Im heading over for a short stay in early august and will only have 1 day to do some shopping, i'll be staying in seminyak and wanting some advice for a really good shopping strip in either seminyak or legian, looking for good bartering, low prices, plenty of variety ie. homewares, clothes, etc. thanks in advance.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

Seminyak and Legian both have great shopping, in fact Bali is a shopper's paradise! Head up and down the main street of Seminyak, also Jalan Kunti and Jalan Laksmana in Seminyak. There you will find everything from clothes, to shoes, to homewares, to leather etc. etc. In Legian, the main street is also good, so is Padma Street and the local market stalls in Jalan Melasti. But, be warned! One day shopping in Bali is never enough, but I hope you find what you are looknig for.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

thanks for the tips, ive been over plenty of times but have stayed elsewhere on the island and trying to avoid busy kuta central if i can. thanks

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

i walk along jalan double six, jalan werkudara and jalan legian and the jalan between jayakarta hotel and jalan legian. i find that i can find all the things at a fairly relaxed pace. eg surf gear, clothes, beads, wall hangings, spas, restaurants, dvds, sarongs, stuff i dont really want, bags, mobile phone stuff, banks, atms, jewellry, hats, ornaments, mini supermarkets, etc, etc, etc. this is in the Legian area.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

If i were you I would go to Geneva.

That way you can purchase all your homewares etc for cheaper than market price (at fixed price.)

They are air conditioned and take credit card.

There are 4 floors.

It is well worth a look through as much of it is excellent.(Shell dishes, paintings, sarong clips, pashminas, baskets, windchimes, stone platters, oils and incense, placemats etc etc). just make sure you check it is free from borers and allowed through customes/no banana skin etc, just as you would do from the markets.

Don't get home and buy from the internet from them though as I have read there are problems with that).

Then you can have a lunch stop and spend the afternoon doing all the lovely little boutique shops that Seminyak and Legian have to offer when you wander.

Don't forget most shops don't close until late evening.

http://www.genevahandicraft.com/

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

fantastic, thanks guys!!! will check out geneva for sure, less hassles/begging me to buy too by the looks of it, more like a department store. i really appreciate your replies :-)

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

If it is really necessary to save time and just shop but not in a particularly agreeable environment then do go to Geneva. I am really against all these 'geneva' type of shops that have recently sprung up all over Bali - there is now 'Biarritz' on Sunset Road and various other 'oleh-oleh' supermarket type of shops both on Sunset Road and various other streets. PLEASE spare a thought for all the Balinese who have shops in the markets and everywhere else - they need the business a lot more than these 'supermarket' souvenir shops. This will be the death knell for many small shops if tourists insist on shopping at these kinds of places and I'm sure that we don't want the small shop keepers to be pushed out by the big guys, do we? Apart from this, it is a lot more fun to chat with the local shop keepers/stall holders than to push a trolley around and grabbing things off the shelf.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

thanks for your insight e1, i hear what youre saying and i'd dearly love to help the locals so what i'll do is check out jalan double six to jalan legian first, then head to geneva if im running out of time. I appreciate all your replies. Thanks.... btw, know of a trusted and good rate money changer near by geneva or shopping strip mentioned? im staying at puri madawi (up near vila lumbung area)if you know of one up that way. thanks :-)

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

Hi ah2relax

If you are staying in Seminyak then the best place to change money is on Jl Raya Seminyak, almost opposite Bintang supermarket at the BMC money changer which is right next door to restaurant Sip. there are 2 money changers here and the best one is the one to the right of Sip when you are looking at the restaurant from the street. You will see it as it is the one that is always crowded. Its name is Pt Bali Maspipntjinra.

9. Re: Best place to shop in Seminyak & Legian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 16:18