We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money - how much per day?

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
Spending money - how much per day?

Hello,

I know that this question is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" but as we will be heading to Bali for our first time in December I would appreciate some guidance on how much we are likely to spend on "average" meals (lunch and dinner) and a couple of drinks of an evening?

I plan to take some local currency and then use ATMs (does anyone know if there is one in Candidasa?)

Am really excited about going and this forum is great!

Thanks

Hazel

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,311 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money - how much per day?

Hi Hazel,

There was a similar question posted about 4 weeks ago and there were a variety of responses.

Average lunch of maybe nasi campur or babi kecap, expect to pay 20-30000Rp. Similar price for club sandwiches with chips. This of course depends on where you eat and what you eat as the little warungs are much cheaper than the bigger restaurants.

For dinner, if you go for something like a tuna steak or fish/seafood, expect to pay between 40-60000Rp. Steaks are about 75-80000Rp. Starters (soup, prawn cocktail, spring rolls) expect to pay between 18-20000Rp.

Cocktails are around 35-40000Rp, 660ml bottle of Bintang beer between 17-30000Rp, local wine about 40000Rp for a glass.

Candi Dasa is quite cheap for eating compared to other resorts, but it depends if you're eating somewhere like Vincents or Toke or the Watergarden which are quite expensive (still cheap by UK standards). I normally budget for £50 a day (leaving money left over for shopping, transport etc), although in Candi Dasa you can easily get away with £25 a day.

Didn't see an ATM when I was there, but there's a reliable money changer at the Post Office. Last week, exchange rate there was 16600Rp to the pound for travellers cheques, 16800Rp for cash.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money - how much per day?

I take approximately $100 per day in cash and also take my credit card. Last visit in April I didn't use my credit card and also came back with cash. This included getting clothes made and eating and drinking out plus I also had my teenage daughter with me. We had breakfast included so I guess that also helped. I always take cash and change it in Bali - don't buy your Rupiah overseas as it is a terrible exchange rate. I would recommend bring cash and your atm card and you will be fine.

3. Re: Spending money - how much per day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 02:18