We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats safe to eat in bali?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
whats safe to eat in bali?

Going to bali in a month for the first time. just wanting some advice on what is safe to eat .For example been told to watch out for things washed with the water, like salad . And what about food cooked in the water? and water in the food.I know not to drink the water. Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

I eat salads, I drink ice, I keep my hands clean by using aqium as the most germs come from handling money, door handles,objects in shops etc.

If it's a well established restaurant, they will not be taking risks by washing food in tap water, they want their customers to return :)

Eat whatever looks and smells good to you, I also eat from stalls and markets.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

Need to be care about a glass of water with ice which is served free in small local food shops. Drink bottle of water with care which was closed completly. I have been to stole food shops as well and never been in trouble.

If you worry about eating un-cooked food like salad, better not eat. Because we can't see it how they treat in the kitchen.

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

My biggest issue food wise is likely salads. Eat them every day here and miss them much when traveling. Is the rule for Bali that, unless the greens and veggies are washed appropriately in anti bacterial water, or the like, you simply can't eat them? Will most mid-level or upscale spots wash their greens well? It seems, from photos, beautiful salads are on lots of menus. Does that mean all those place wash them well?

And, for street food, if its well cooked, like a satay, does that usually mean safe to eat?

Thanks.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,890 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

the issue with street food from the mobile vendors (carts) is that it is not stored at the correct temperature therefor it is unsafe. most of that food is cooked early in the day and not refrigerated / and or heated correctly. the carts have no refrigeration so the ingredients sit inn the heat. you rarely see a tourist eating from a local cart.

as for ice it is made from 'safe' treated water. the ice that is not safe is the large blocks used for keeping drinks / food etc cold. you often see this ice at the fish markets or at stalls on the beach where locals sell cold drinks for example. the ice is delivered on the back of trucks, and not at all clean or safe.

as for salads these are washed in treated 'safe' water by most establishments. stick with restaurants with a good number of patrons. if the place is quiet the turnover of food may be low and / or not somewhere tried and trusted. how the plates and utensils etc are washed and dried can affect food safety also. just be cautious where you eat. as for cooked food make sure it is cooked properly and if it is pre cooked and not heated properly i would keep away from it. things not heated properly harbour bacteria. you don't know if it has been refrigerated properly either. once again stick to busy places. you can often see the kitchen so use common sense.

wash your hands well before eating. the ice and salads are generally SAFE to eat. i always find drinking a couple of yakults daily helps. they are full of healthy bacteria and help ward off the bad bugs. i don't ever get bali belly when i drink them.

Queensland
Level Contributor
525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

I take travelan with me, took it last year to Thailand and had no issues in remote areas in Northern Thailand, ate from street vendors.

Usually I do end up with trouble.

But the Travelan has put a stop to all of that, you take it with every meal. ALl natural product available from Chemists.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

Thank you all for the advice will take it all in .OZROO

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,243 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

Hi ozroo

All food that are cooked on the spot is safe to eat.

All food with harmful bacteria will be sterilised after cooking so very safe to eat

Food pre prepared earlier and left on the open for fries to visit is not safe to eat unless you have a strong tummy like the local.

Drink from mineral water but watch out for tempered seals????

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

Thank you for the feedback. The point on eating at "busy" locations is a good one. And, the Yakult is something we will look for.

9. Re: whats safe to eat in bali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 05:18