We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

Hi ALL!!!!

My partner and i leave in 6 days for 3 weeks in bali and lombok, i have been on the lombok forums.

Anyway, im wondering what the best thing to do. Yes i have set up the Wizard clear advantage card, so no fees or conversions etc. However, we need the US$25pp fee when we arrive at the airport, we also need US$150pp for a tour we are doing 2nd week into our trip, and we need oney to get us to our hotel in Tanjong Benoa. I was thinking in would exchange some money over here is Aus for the US$ and get a little Rupiah for the taxi to the resort. I dont know if bali atm's provide any $US? coz then my preference is to wait to draw out the US$150PP till when we need to. Also i dont know whether i get a better conversion rate in Australia or Bali?

Thanks everyone,

Jayne~~

Perth
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

I bought my USD at the airport so I had the correct money for my visa. Also took out extra USD to cover Waterbom Park, Safari Park etc. Rest I take as AUD. I use the ATM's quite often in Bali but you are only issued with Rupiah. As far as exchange rate goes of USD I am not sure what they are currently paying in Bali. Leaving in 2 hours so I better go and get organised. Hope you enjoy your trip

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

Hey Janis

If you know exactly how much you need in US Dollas before you leave Australia, then I personally would get it now and take it with me. At the same time as getting US Dollars also get some rupiah so that you can get a cab from airport to your hotel.

Also once you are in Bali just speak to other travellers to find out where there are reputable money changers and ATM machines.

Cheers.. Princi62

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

please DON'T echange your aussie dollars to rupiah here in australia the exchange rate is LOW. you can exchange some aussie dollars at the airport in bali to pay for your taxi and get you started. you will need rupiah for basically everything in bali. the exchange rate is not bad at the airport and only slightly lower than other places. Please note nusa dua and possibly tanjung benoa will have a lower exchange rate than the airport or somewhere like kuta. still a much higher rate than in australia. at the moment aussie dollars are buying 8300 to 8500 for $1AUD.

as for $US check with your bank here in australia. the price you pay for $USD changes daily. I always order in 'NEW' notes and collect them from the bank.

Yes pay the visa in exact USD.

As for places like waterbom park, zoo etc etc you don't have to pay in USD you can still pay in rupiah even though they advertise entry in USD. the ATM's give out rupiah notes. I find it far better to take $50 and $100 aussie notes and exchange them in bali and i also use my credit card for shopping at places like department stores etc.

USD $150 per person sounds a lot for a tour.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

Just take AUS$ in large denominations, 100 & 50. Change it at a reliable money changer as you need rp, 50 or 100 at a time. You will recognise a good money changer, they are not in laneways or small shops and usually do not have the best rate! Do not change money at your hotel unless you check the rate first and are happy with it.

Cheers,

David

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

SNOOKY:

Just a quick note: on the XE.com Rupiah is 8500 to Aus$, which is what you have said. Is is a different rate in aus compared to Bali?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

Janis, you would be lucky to get even 7,000 in Oz.

Regards,

David

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

much lower in australia

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

I take my previous comment about not getting even 7,000 back. Current rate on the street in Bali should be about 8,500 to 8,600. The commonwealth bank today can sell you rp at 7,900rp per dollar including their transaction fees through ExpressX, order on-line and pick up over the counter of your local branch.

I would still buy in Bali.

Regards,

David

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

You don't need US money at all. You can pay your VOA with AUD, get some change for the cab as well.

You can pay for any tours with your credit card or rupiah.

Prices may be shown in US dollars but you don't have to have US cash.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to exchange money? Aus or bali? Bali ATM US$?

Linda and others please check my previous posts about paying your VOA in a currency other than $US. there is and has been a scam operating and you are likely to be ripped off if you don't use $US. there have been articles and investigations into this over the past few months.. it is not worth the risk of being ripped off.

please stick with USD for VOA. another traveller on this forum was ripped off only weeks ago and posted a report. If you don't pay in USD they convert the rate your currency to USD at whatever they "choose" so they keep the profits. THEN they work out your change to give you in rupiah at 'their chosen rate', pay you in small (incorrect) denominations and once again KEEP some of the change.

if you pay $25 US straight up there is no confusion or tricks and you are through in a couple of minutes. it is no good standing there arguing over the conversion rate or change if you choose to pay in another currency. you don't want trouble at the airport you just want to get out of there through customs and off to your hotel.

as for tour guides and drivers on the street they DON"T take credit card. only tour agencies who charge much higher prices for most tours.

once again change your currency in bali and take UD for VOA. use credit card for larger purchases and use ATM's is you are happy with the fees charged by your financial institution.

don't bother with travellers cheques.