We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review itinerary and advise

Cardiff CA
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
Please review itinerary and advise

HI again,

Took a break from planning but am read TA everyday for ideas. Quick background...Husband and I age 60, plus 3 sons ages 27, 25 and 23, plus 2 girlfriends are going to Bali from Jan 5 to Jan 18. So far this is what our itinerary looks like.

1/5 Kuta (Dewi Sri) - Arrive, check in, sunset, dinner and to bed early

1/6 Kuta - Tanah Lot, relax from jet lag, pool/beach, massage, shop

1/7 Kuta - Driver to take us to Uluwatu for the day. Beaches and surfing hopefully for the boys, temple and Kecak dance in the evening.

1/8 Kuta - White Water Rafting or Hidden Canyon morning, relax afternoon

1/9 Ubud (Jati 3 Bungalows) - Long transfer day with driver. Tirta Gangga, Pura Lempuyang, Amed for lunch, Virgin Beach for short swim, to Ubud via Sideman.

1/10 Ubud - Easy day to relax, everyone on their own.

Monkey Forest, spa, Campuhun Ridge, pool. Girlfriend want to visit Villa Kitty.

1/11 Ubud - Mt Batur hike weather permitting otherwise White Water Rafting or Hidden Canyon, which ever one we did not do from Kuta. Relax late afternoon.

1/12 Ubud - Long day with driver. Jatiluwih rice terraces, Handara golf photo op, Wanagiri swing photo op, Aling Aling waterfall, Ulun Danu Beratan.

1/13 Nusa Lembongan (Tarci’s Bungalows)- transfer via fast boat with Ubud pick up at hotel. Arrive, check in, pool and/or bicycle riding around town, relax.

1/14 NL- tour NL and Nusa Ceningan (Blue Lagoon, Secret Beach, Dream Beach, Devil’s Tear and Sandy Bay Beach Club)

1/15 NL - Snorkel trip and/or surf, relax pool/beach

1/16 NL - Snorkel trip and/or surf, relax pool/beach

1/17 Sanur (Warasana Inn) - First fast boat transfer to Sanur. Check in, walk along beach path and kids to finish up shopping massage etc. Last night with kids. Nice dinner.

1/18 Kids flight home at 16:20

Then 2 weeks with hubby to further explore Bali with no itinerary planned.

How does this itinerary look? Any suggestions? Can day 1/9 transfer be done or should it be done switched with day 1/10 and start in Ubud? Can day 12 be done or do I need to remove something? I have hired a 13 passenger van on the long travel days. I think I have built in some flexibility and we can switch out excursions on different days if weather is an issue. This will probably be our one and only visit to Bali.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this long post.

4 replies to this topic
Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Please review itinerary and advise

1/8 white water rafting and hidden canyon best done from Ubud not Kuta.

1/9 very long day. I would drop lunch at Amed and have lunch at Candidasa. Alternative would be to do this day from Ubud and make tour on day 12 your transfer day. You would need to leave Kuta early to fit in the waterfalls and it would be a full day.

1/14 how do you intend to tour Nusa Lembongan and Ceningan? Do any of you have motor bike license?

Cardiff CA
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Please review itinerary and advise

Thank you for your suggestions Lynne. 1/8 Of all the things we wanted to do, I think these 2 were the closest to Kuta. Ubud is so packed already. Maybe weather will cause us to move this days activities to an Ubud day. 1/9 and 1/12 How long do you think these days are? I will consider lunch in Candidasa. I assume you mean omit Amed altogether and replace with Candidasa. Will this save time or is it a personal preference. We plan to rent scooters. My husband and sons all ride motorcycles so they will need to get their international drivers permit before we leave.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Please review itinerary and advise

Hidden Canyon is only 14 km from Ubud. Both Ayung and Telaga Waja Rivers for white water rafting are around Ubud area and aprox 90 mins - 2hrs from Kuta. If going to hidden canyon and it has been raining hard check to see if it is not closed due to flood waters. It is rainy season and it may well be flooded.

I chose Candidasa over Amed because I cannot see the point in going to Amed just for lunch. It is aprox 45 - 60 minutes from Tirta Gangga so just going there and back is wasting nearly 2 hours in an already busy day. Candidasa is on the way to Tirta Gangga so no wasting time. You get great water views from both places.

Kuta to Tirta Gangga depending on traffic and ceremonies allow anywhere between 2 - 3hrs without stopping.

With the tours you want to do it would be sensible to check out of Kuta on 1/8 and do that tour from Ubud.

OK good if you have enough people with motor bike license. It will be easy for you to do Nusa Lembongan and Ceningan.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
88 reviews
4. Re: Please review itinerary and advise

Some is just Too packed.

All activities include free transport.

Jan 8 - As lynne said WWR is best done from Ubud. From Kuta you will have to leave a lot earlier than in Ubud and get back later. You might get back to Kuta around 14:00

Jan 9 - If the traffic is ok then Kuta to Tirta Gangga is ~ 2hrs. We are in Amed every year (was already in May. Am returning in November) and often pop in when transferring. Generally only spend 30mins or so in there.

Pura Lempuyang is actually the top temple of a series of temples. "Pura Lempuyang" Dragon Staircase temple often seen on google images is only 5mins or so from the car park. The middle temple is 1h30 return walk. The top temple is a good 3hrs return walk if you are fit and don't hang around.

Pura Lempuyang is ~ 20mins from Tirta Gangga.

Amed (around Jemeluk bay) is ~ 30mins from Tirta Gangga.

I would ditch Amed. If you want to do Tirta Gangga and just do the 'Dragon Staircase" temple then you could perhaps go to Taman Ujung, Whitesand/Virgin beach for a swim, some fish and a beer then head to Ubud.

Jan 10 - we always visit Villa Kitty - we stay on Jalan Monkey Forest and have walked to Villa Kitty. Went in the morning after breakfast. It is over 2miles along main roads. Expect a local driver to want IDR70k for a 'taxi" journey one way.

The girls at Villa Kitty can ring a driver to take you back.

Jan 11 - Don't plan anything for the afternoon - Mt Batur Sunrise trek - you will be picked up around 2am. If you only do the trek, depending on fitness of people and how easy the descent is, you may get back to the start point around 09:30-10:00. Means you won't be back in Ubud until 11-11:30 at earliest.

Can't guarantee traffic or if you hit a village having a ceremony.

Afternoon rafting trips pickups vary depending on company and river. Can be anything between 1200 -13:30

Ayung river is the 'easier' often recommend for families with kids. Loads of steps at start/finish point. Closer to Ubud so generally a bit later pickup.

Telaga Waja "whiter". Bit further from Ubud hence more likely an earlier pickup.

Jan 12 - Putting Aling ALing in could be a problem. Can easily take 2h30 just to get there. Then you can easily spend 1h30-2hrs there. Could easily be 1pm by the time you leave Aling Aling. Could be another 1hr to Wanagiri. You might not be at Ulun Danu Beratan much before 3pm

Normally private driver is from 9am but If Aling Aling a must then get an early start and go straight there from Ubud and work your way back.

BEJI GUWANG

You keep mentioning it. It isn't far from Ubud or Sanur. You could move some stuff on Jan 10 to after Sunrise trek as local/chilling.

Jan 10 just get a local driver for say the afternoon (IDR400k for 6hrs) and visit Beji Guwang. Can easily include Tegenungan Waterfall and perhaps even Kampo Lanto.

Reply to: Please review itinerary and advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted