We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubud

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
16 reviews
Ubud

Trying to finalize my research in Ubud (7 nights)

We have booked a driver for 3 full days trips

We still have 4 full days to do things on our own. I have narrowed down to these places. The ones in Ubud, we can probably walk there, or take our bicycles provided from hotel.

Ubud Art Market

Rice field walk in Ubud

Ridge walk in Ubud

Shows – at the palace - Puri Saren Palace, Ubud

Don Antonio Blanco Museum

Warung Babi Guling

ARMA museum

Warung Pulau Kelapa

Tirta Sari

... can we ride bicycles to the ridge walk or the rice fields?...

Other places that are a little further are:

Sukawati Art Market , Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets

Tegalalang rice terrace, Kampung Cafe & Cottages Ceking

Ubud Monkey forest

Penestanan village

Batubulan

... for these other places, I don't think it's a good idea to ride our bicycles as they look like major roads with no real bicycle lanes. Rather not scooter anything either as we are very cautious when traveling abroad... Are there any public transportation to these places? Realistically, what are my options?

We would really like to do Tegalalang and Sukawati.

For example, if we hire a driver to take us to the Tegalalang rice terrace, one way, approx. how much is a reasonable fare? Will we have any trouble getting transportation back if we don't want him to wait?

Same thing with Sukawati.

The other places are more like time fillers I guess. But would be nice to do them too.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 15:37
31 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Ubud

Hi,

firstly where exactly are you staying as Ubud Monkey Forest is in Ubud itself so if you can get to the Ubud Market how is Ubud Monkey Forest really be "a little further' implying that it is a bit more difficult.

Simiarly the Blanco Museum is on the edge of Penestanan.

and "... for these other places, I don't think it's a good idea to ride our bicycles as they look like major roads with no real bicycle lanes"

There are no bicycle lanes full stop so your first list could be as relevant or irrelevant as the second.

CAMPUHAN RIDGE WALK

You can ride bikes to the ridge walk and ride your bikes along the path and push them where necessary. It is only a path.

YOUR ITINERARY/DRIVER

What have you actually booked/planned with your driver for 3 days.

I suggest you outline your exact tour itinerary for each day. Then people can better advise what to fit in where.

Tegallalang is best done with a driver as part of a day trip out ... however I wouldn't bother. It has basically turned into a walk interrupted by toll booths as local landowners ask for money for entering their land.

Better off going to Jatiluwih. Again as part of a day trip out. Easily visited if heading north to Ulun Danu Beratan.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,332 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: Ubud

Hi, so where are you staying in Ubud? Depending on which area you are in, some places are walkable to and others may not be. Also, where are you going on the 3 days you have hired all day drivers? Many of these places can be consolidated on your trips.

For gamelan and dance programs I don't really recommend the Puri Saren Palace because of all the crowds and bussed in tourists.

Warung Bali Guling is a type of eatery, not any particular place, there are many all over Bali so sometimes it's just a matter of stopping when you pass one. I like the one in Payangan Market but it may not be convenient for you.

Rice field walk: Ubud is surrounded by rice fields so you can pretty much pick any direction and eventually you will enter rice fields, some more picturesque than others..most of them will be several hectares large but some are only a few hundred meters long.

Transport, you will meet a hundred nice drivers who are offering transport, whether full days or short hops, half days, etc. Again, fare will depend on where you start from, but I would really try to see it on the way back from Batur/Kintamani.

Penestanan villagel is not an attraction in itself, and is firmly attached to Ubud. Monkey Forest Ubud is smack in the middle of the most dense part of Ubud, if you check google maps you can see it easily. Not sure what you want to see in Batubulan but that is also usually easily tacked on to your long day trips, depending on what you want to see there...if it's the Bird and Reptile Park give it an hour or maybe more.

Having a driver wait for you is almost always the best thing to do..they are already there with you, the rate is actually cheaper to do go and back (pulang pergi) than 2 separate trips. The drivers have no problem patiently waiting. The Mask and Puppet museum is wonderful, but again, can be combined with other trips, depending on where you go.

australia
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3. Re: Ubud

Hi, tzcanada, armed with a good map, plan the itinerary made up of the sightseeing you're wanting to do. It appears you have already arranged a driver; preferably Ubud based. You discuss your itinerary with said driver and he will plan a successful route. A full day's outing will be IDR600,000 approximately.

Above contributors are correct in advising to be aware of your chosen accommodation location. Ubud is quite spread out and may need a hotel shuttle service to visit the central sights of Ubud. Personally I wouldn't ride a bicycle in Ubud, up hill, down dale, heavy traffic and not sure of the quality of bikes provided as it's not something that people do in Ubud. Sanur is great for cycling.

If you're interested in the ARMA Museum I would have a wander and then enjoy the cultural show with dinner at the premises.

Campuhan Ridge Walk is preferable in the earlyish morning.

Tegalalang will require a car with driver so needs to be included when visiting other sites. I've been to Sukuwati and, for me, it's okay, wouldn't return and do check the quality. Batubalan is famous for stone carving.

I enjoyed my lunch at a Kampung Cafe which was recommended by MangoMonkey.

One thing I do suggest is to stop and smell the roses! Cheers.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 16:55
Perth
Level Contributor
857 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Ubud

Last time we were in Ubud we were handed a leaflet on the corner of J L Raya Ubud and Monkey Forest road to see the Kecack dance it was 6 or 7AUD and it was the best dance we have ever seen. They did the whole fire dancing and trance ritual which was amazing. It was performed in front of a temple not far from the palace and started around 7:30pm. I highly recommend it but get there early so you can get the best seats.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,332 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Ubud

HI Sarah: Yes, there are about 8 different village performances every night of the week in various locations. Kecak is one of them, plus Legong, Ramayana, Topeng, Barong and others. The one near the Palace is packed out with bussed in tourists but the others are much less crowded.

Perth
Level Contributor
857 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Ubud

Thanks Mango Monkey. Wish I could remember the street where the dance was held. I think it was the street next to the palace about 500m down it. We have seen all the dances but the Kecak is my favourite. Watching the performer go into a trance and then walk through the fire is something I will never forget and your right about the palace it is always packed.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Ubud

For the monkey forest there is a free shuttle that will pick you up at several locations and drop you off

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Ubud

Jatiwaluh is amazing and breathtaking

It's a unesco location

We went yesterday and wish we had stayed longer

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,332 posts
129 reviews
9. Re: Ubud

If only 500 meters in a straight line North it might have been the Pura Dalem Ubud. It's one of my favorite venues. Or it could have even been Saraswati which is closer. There is also the wantilan near the Ubud football field, and others down around Peliatan and Padang Tegal and Pengosekan. I do agree, the dances and gamelan are amazing, and they are the vilage groups that are the same people who perform at temple ceremonies.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Ubud

Thanks everyone for taking the time to response. Very nice of all of you.

We are staying at the Elements by Westin, Ubud.

Our day trip covers place in the north, east and west of Bali, including all the notable places like Jatiluwih, Tanah Lot, Goa Gajah, Ulun on the Beratan lake, Bekasih, view of the Batur mount and lake, Penglipuran, Mengwi, Gunung Kawi right off the top of my head.

I have googled the places in Ubud, it’s about 2.4 KM walk from hotel, which I can we can easily manage since we walk 6 KM daily for exercise. Maybe it’ll be hot, but I think it’s quite do-able. I also google the street view, and it’s alright, yes, no bicycle lanes. So I am beginning to wonder where everyone is bicycling to when they say they took the bicycle out to explore. (on the tripadvisor Element’s hotel). Most of the places are major roads, some side streets but even so, they’re not paths. Maybe google map doesn’t show paths that exists that link these places?

Tegalalang and Sukuwati – some of you are saying it’s not worth it. I’m well aware of Tegalalang being commercialized and touristy, which I didn’t mind. We were hoping to eat there. Sukuwati, aside from the puppet museum, there’s the market, but I was already made aware earlier in another post, it’s similar to Ubud, albeit a little cheaper, but easily washed off by the cost of getting there. I’m a bit conflicted now if it’s even worth the trip.

Dance at the palace, Penestanan village – off my list. Thanks for the tip on ARMA Dinner and show.

There’s no way to tag anything onto my day trips as they are FULL. I really don’t mind doing yet another day or half day.

Down to some questions, as I feel like I’m just rambling a bunch.

1) So suppose I start from hotel, what would be an approximate fare to Tegalalang and back. The reason I rather not have them wait is so that we can take our time if we wanted, or don’t take our time if we want to go)

2) The ridge walk – do in morning – noted. I read some tour books that you need to be picked up by driver “under the stairs”. Can we potentially just walk the whole ridge (it’s a loop I think) on our own?

3) “Rice field walk: Ubud is surrounded by rice fields so you can pretty much pick any direction and eventually you will enter rice fields, some more picturesque than others..most of them will be several hectares large but some are only a few hundred meters long.” – really?? LOL. I thought there’s Tegalalang and Jatiluwih and one other on the east. When you say Ubud, do you mean easily walk from Ubud town center?

4) Kecak and fire dance – I had written it down for a trip from Seminyak. The one in Uluwatu. I had no idea there’re also in Ubud. I googled this and could this be the good one you guys mentioned - Pura Dalem Taman Kaja, Ubud. There are videos online, but I don’t think I can put link here, can I? The Borang dance with the scary masks looks great. Can it be found in Ubud (instead of having to travel to Batubulan)

5) Potentially if we do another day or half day, would it be possible to get some ideas where to go. We are headed down to Seminyak for the rest of the 4 nights.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to: Ubud
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted