We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekepung buffalo races

Madrid
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Mekepung buffalo races

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find out the dates for the buffalo races this summer?

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

Hola knaz! :-)

I THINK it's on the first Sunday of every month, in the mornings and it's done by noon or one in the afternoon.

But, I think you can check with Dean the driver or Putu Nastra. You can email them at either:

Dean:

bali-dean@dps.centrin.net.id,

or Putu:

putunastra@yahoo.com

Although Putu Nastra lives in Denpasar, his hometown is in Negara, so he should know the times, but am sure Dean will be able to tell you as well.

Good Luck.

Madrid
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

Thanks Jade!!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

No worries! Bummer for us because we missed it at our last trip - we though it was a whole day thing, and we were only leaving to go the west in the morning, so by the time we would have arrived there, the races would have been over!

Hope you see them. Should be fun. I've only seen in on the Travel Channel on Asian Cable TV. :-)

Madrid
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

Do you know how long it takes to get to west Bali from Seminyak?

US
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

From balisweethome.com/en/…mekepung.htm

"The Mekepung attraction is held only in the Jembrana district, located in the south-west area of Bali. From Denpasar (the capital city of Bali island), it only takes one hour by car to the west."

"The Buffalo Race or Mekepung Attraction can be seen, both training and actual races, in the Jembrana district of Bali on Sundays each year from July to October, [08.00 to Noon]. The Bupati's Cup is held in August while the Governor's Cup is scheduled in October. Bupati is the title of the Head of the Jembrana district government whereas Gubernur/Governor is the title of the Head of the Bali province government."

Madrid
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

Thanks IMGrateful! looks like we'll be up at the crack of dawn to see the beef!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

Hi,

I think that you had better check with the drivers about that! I don't thin it's an hour!

If I remember correctly, it's takes around 2 hours to get there.... if not more....? Am not sure which part of Negara it is, but Negara is very far from Seminyak (we have been there), and I think that the roads are quite crowded (then again, it's a Sunday), but I still don't think it's that near.

perth
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

Hi, The buffalo races used to be a Parancek Negara. We went by booking through Peanuts (eons ago!!). They were looking for volunteers, so I volunteered my husband to be a "jockey" and compete in a race! What a hoot!

It took a long time to get there from Kuta, I would think closer to two hours. Don't forget in Bali it is "jam kerat" (?) "rubber time". So never place too much store on times you are given.

cheers

wendy

Madrid
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

Oh my husband would aboslutely love to be a jockey !!! Do jockey's get wear colourful streamers too?

10. Re: Mekepung buffalo races

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 13:20