We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabies jabs

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Rabies jabs

Please can anyone give me any advice regarding having the rabies jabs. I’ve been given such conflicting information I don’t know what to do.

Shall I get them ? Or not ? Some travellers I’ve spoken to have had it some haven’t. But as there is rabies I’m thinking I should have it done as we’re visiting monkey sanctuary’s. Can anyone please give me some advice ? Thanks.

23 replies to this topic
Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabies jabs

I don't know anyone that has had rabies shots prior to travel.

If bitten you can get a course of shots after the fact.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
690 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabies jabs

Agree with Greg. My understanding is, even if you get the shots before, if you get bitten, you still have to get more shots while you are there, so I would just save them all for one go if you are unfortunate enough to be bit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabies jabs

Supposedly the monkeys in Bali are rabies free but I wouldn't set foot in the monkey forest anyway but it would only be a small number of tourists who would get rabies shots most wouldn't bother

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabies jabs

Follow Greg's advice - In the case that you do get bitten you can have shots afterwards. Rabies is now extremely rare in Bali and the monkeys at Monkey Forest get tested regularly.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 08:18
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rabies jabs

Morning. We have been to Bali many times, and I have never had the rabies shots and like Dianne dont go anywhere near them!!! Although, I am going to work with some doggies this year and have had to have the course of shots. You have to have it over several weeks, 3 shots each being $100. I wouldnt have it again though. x

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rabies jabs

You will find it hard the world over of an incident of a human getting rabies from a Macaque. People have put 2&2 together and made cheese. Bali has a rabies problem, in dogs, a few years ago and had an island wide blitz. Our driver yesterday had his dog destroyed by the authorities despite not having rabies. More likely to come across a rabies risk area in Oz than Bali. My wife got the jab as we get all the stuff for free at work. This was 10years after our first visit to Bali.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rabies jabs

Nope Oz is rabies free although we do have Australia Bat Lyssavirus which has similar outcome I believe

Carlingford...
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rabies jabs

Sorry to say Notapigsty even though you are a Tripadviser GURU Aus is rabies free! Benefits of being an island down under. We do have the worlds deadliest snakes and spiders but that’s another story!

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rabies jabs

I’m quite surprised that not many ppl have the rabies jab. I’ve been almost forced to have it done. The problem is if you don’t have it done here with the course of 3 injections over a month if you get bitten over there you only get one shot and it’s not really enough. It’s just it’s £240 per son here for the course. So three of us is a lot of money. But then I have to weigh up my risks. We will visit the monkey sanctuary but that’s as rural as we’ll get. What a dilemma !!!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rabies jabs

The Aussie Bat issue was what I was "generically" referring to.

Similar issues in the States where they refer to it as "Bat rabies".

Like most things if you avoid the risk less likely to be an issue - like Japanese Encephalitis which you can get in Bali.

Your biggest problem is Dengue fever - which all you can do is spray yourself regularly with a good anti-mozzie spray and of course the killer bees.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Reply to: Rabies jabs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted