We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali staying in Ubud

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Bali staying in Ubud

Dear all,

In July I'll do 12 days between Bali and Gili T.

Considering internal trips I'll have 4 full days to visit Bali staying the whole time in Ubud.

I drafted an itinerary and I'll like to have some feedbacks on it.

My idea is to maximaze the few days but without pulling too many things at once.

Here is my idea:

Day 1: Ubud market, ubud palace / Saraswati temple and monkey forest.

Day 2: Tanah Lot and rice fields

Day 3: Tirta empul, gunung kawi, pura gunung kawi sebatu and goa gajah

Day 4: Mount batur + pura besakih

Is it too much? Am I losing something important? I'm open to any suggestions and/or alternative stuff to see and to do!

Regarding trips I'm thinking to rent a scooterbike for the first day and private driver /tours for the other days. Any hints / suggestions on drivers / tour agency?

Thank you in advance

Davide

16 replies to this topic
Orange County...
Level Contributor
839 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

Which rice fields are you planning to visit on Day 2? The Tegallalang fields are about 10-15 minutes from Pura Gunung Kawi Sebatu or Pura Tirta Empul, so you could consider adding them in to Day 3 instead?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

You won't need a scooter bike on day 1. All these places are walkable from each other and right in middle of town. I would recommend walking around these places.

I will recommend slightly different itinerary - some to temples you have mentioned are close by to Tegallalang Rice terrace. I will recommend you to pick up a scooter for about 50-80K and cover all these places together.

Try Swing over the valley in Ceking Sari Luwak Cafe next to Tegallalang rice terrace (look up Google maps).

There are many shops on the way from Ubud centre to Tegallalang. I found these shops offering similar souvenirs at much better price than in the town.

Visit Tanah lot either during low tide(see tide timetable online) or in the evening for a wonderful sunset.

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
3. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

Ok thanks a lot! So you are both telling me to add rice fields on day 3 :)

Is this still ok ?

Is there any valid alternative to add on day 2?

The otter days are ok?

Any raccomandations on driver for day 3 & 4?

Sorry for the bombing of questione :)

Orange County...
Level Contributor
839 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

Can you describe the rest of your time in Bali? You say you have 12 days between Bali and Gili T, but only 4 in Ubud. Even with internal transfer days, that leaves at least 5 full other days. Are you spending all of these on Gili T? I ask, because this could sway what is recommended for Day 2 instead of the rice fields. Will you transfer directly to Ubud from the airport? Or have any other time on the South of the island to explore Tanah Lot?

Day 1 sounds like a nice relaxing day. You could easily do all of those places in 2 hours if you were really rushed, or leisurely explore them and spend 5 hours. Your choice.

Day 3 (after adding rice fields) and 4 sound good, yes.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,132 posts
89 reviews
5. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

As above need your exact overall itinerary from beginning to end/flying out as this will determine a number of things including where to buy Gili Tickets and which company to use.

UBUD - GILIS - "southern resort" is a popular combo.

All fastboat companies will include free pickup in Ubud and free dropoff ata y major "southern resort" hotel on return so no need to arrange own transfers to ports.

Do not leave a boat journey on the day of your flight..

Edited: 17 May 2018, 08:44
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,421 posts
129 reviews
6. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

There are many lovely rice field areas around Bali. From what you plan on Day 2 you are thinking of the rice fields around Jatiluwih/Pacung or Belimbing. That can be combined with Tanah Lot since it's on the western side of the island. I would also recommend you go slightly more north from Jatiluwih and up to Bedugul and see the temple in the Lake as well..this is a very well known circuit and all the drivers know it.

As far as hiring a driver, you will meet many nice drivers in person as you are walking around Ubud on your day 1. Stop and have a nice chat, it's a nice way to meet people as well..look at their car, get a quote, etc etc. Off you go, either right then or for the next day etc. Standard rate for a full day touring is rp 600,000 for the whole car, including petrol.

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
7. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

Thanks for precious feedbacks and precise questions!

Day 0: arrive in Bali at 10 pm and direct transfer to Ubud.

Day 1-2-3-4: Ubud to visit Bali

Day 5: Transfer to Gili t. Already arranged with the Ubud hotel

Day 6-7-8-9: Gili T.

Day 10: Transfer to Jimbaran (not organised yet)

Day 11: chill out at the hotel and late flight around 10 pm

Day 12: sadly back to Switzerland

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
8. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

Day 1 I’d like to keep it cool and have time to organise the following days tour directly on site :)

Orange County...
Level Contributor
839 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

Thanks for providing your full breakdown david, I would say your days in Ubud are ok then. I would also follow MangoMunky's advise for Day 2, to keep Tanah Lot and head up North to Ulun Danu Beratan as well. You could do the rice fields she suggests, or a waterfall visit. Perhaps Tegenungan or GitGit?

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
10. Re: Bali staying in Ubud

Ok so Ulun danu bratan in day 2 :)

Sounds cool to me!

So you suggest to even add a waterfall on day 2? This could be an idea :)

For day 2-4 i’ll organise driver directly on site in Ubud :)

Reply to: Bali staying in Ubud
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted