We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nusa vs. Gilli

Flossmoor, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Nusa vs. Gilli

Hey guys I need your help in a sort of tie breaker fashion. I'm planning on traveling to Bali in September for 11 days and have gotten my itinerary to 4 days in Ubud, with various day trips and 4 days in Kuta/Semniyak/Uluwatu area with day trips. Here's where I'm hung up. I want to split this up with 3days in between with either island hopping the Nusa islands or the Gilli islands, but can't decide on which to do. Which are the better group of islands to spend time at?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Uluwatu
Uluwatu
Bali, Indonesia
4 replies to this topic
Tweed Heads, New...
Level Contributor
836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nusa vs. Gilli

I love Nusa Lembongan and Gili Trawangan and rate both highly.Either one would be great.On Gili t you can get a bit more nightlife if you want,or you can just chill and enjoy the beaches,warungs and bars.On Lembongan there is not much in the way of night life.But I have been there 5 times and will go again.

Mentioned in this post
Nusa Lembongan
Nusa Lembongan
Bali, Indonesia
Gili Trawangan
Gili Trawangan
Gili Islands, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,248 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nusa vs. Gilli

Either or. We're all different.

Gilis basically a flat island you can cycle around in 40mins, bit of partying and some snorkeling.

Nusa Lembongan bit more to see, can get snorkeling trips to Manta Bay for IDR200k or day tours to neighbouring Penida.

Both easily accessed by fastboats which will include free pickup in Ubud (sometimes only the central point at the Coco supermarket) and free dropoff at all major "southern resort" hotels on return.

Please note.

NUSA LEMBONGAN

Fastboats to NL go from Sanur and the crossing only takes 30mins. Many companies have 4 services each way daily so plenty of choice of when you want to leave and come back. Also short transfer to "southern" Hotels.

GILIS

Similar service with free pickups/dropoffs but timewise considerably longer.

You can book your tickets at a tourist booth in Ubud. www.baliekajaya.com often touted. Standard single IDR450k but people have haggledcretuens down to IDR600k.

From Ubud you will be transferred by road to Padangbai. Probably get picked up at least 2hrs before departure time. The boat then takes 1h15 to Gili T which is the first stop.

However the boat then does dropoffs and pickups as it goes at GIli T, Air, sometimes Meno, a compulsory stop at Lombok before returning to Bali. This means that although Gili T is the quickest stop going out it is the longest on return as you are picked up first and have to go around the Islands, Lombok until it returns. Means return boat time can be 2hours+ to Padangbai. Then the road transfer to "south" can easily be an additional 1h30+.

You can split tickets with companies and take the very expensive www.bluewater-express.com directly from Gili T (it puts its compulsory Lombk stop in the middle) but you'll pay more for a single than you would a return over Padangbai and still have a good 2h30 sea journey to Serangan.

Mentioned in this post
Nusa Lembongan
Nusa Lembongan
Bali, Indonesia
Coco Supermarket
Coco Supermarket
132 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Padangbai
Padangbai
Bali, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Serangan
Serangan
Denpasar, Indonesia
Flossmoor, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nusa vs. Gilli

Thanks so much for the advice. The travel times are something for me to think about.

Flossmoor, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nusa vs. Gilli

Thanks for the tip

Edited: 16 May 2018, 04:38
Reply to: Nusa vs. Gilli
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted