We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Terrorism

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Bali Terrorism

Hi, was going to book Bali in two weeks, after a two week stay in Thailand. After reading recent updates on the situation in Jakarta and surrounding, and the warnings australians (I am british) have recieved, I am now very unsure. I travelled to Bali last year with 2 children, spending my time in Sanur/Kuta and felt somewhat Kuta was abit unsafe even then. I loved Ubud and will be spending most of my time between there and Semnyiak this time. The question is really should I choose Bali or opt for somewhere else..due to the situation. I would most likely choose Cambodia or continue to stay in Thailand if not Bali. What would everyone else do?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
23 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali Terrorism

What warnings? There has been no change to Australian warning for very many years. There are also a few current threads about Bali and safety on the front page or two of the forum. Here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29422…

Edited: 15 May 2018, 17:08
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali Terrorism

I am in Bali soon and stay in Kuta,no problem. A bit worried about travelling to Manchester though! Sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali Terrorism

https://thewest.com.au/news/bali/australians…

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5729129/Child-s…

These are the two I read this morning, dailymail isnt the most realiable source I know

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali Terrorism

Thanks, that last bit made me laugh!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali Terrorism

Ultimately Melissa, you have to go with your own gut feeling. None of us can predict what is going to happen in Bali or Manchester tomorrow. If it is going to cause you concern and spoil your holiday, then choose to go somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali Terrorism

We go tomorrow, not worried because when it is my time to go i go, could be while traveling or a die ib a car accident.

Just follow your feeling, i have one rule when i am in doubt it will be a no for me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali Terrorism

I think the question really has to be 'where are we safe anymore'? Beyond the confines of our own homes, the sad reality is that terrorism is a very real threat anywhere in the world.

Obviously you would not intentionally put yourself or your family in the face of danger and can never foresee the unknown but with a keen focus on your surroundings and an understanding of local tensions, you can at least be on guard.

Will the recent events in Surabaya stop me from travelling to Bali next week ? No it will not.

Will my awareness of potential dangers be heightened? Yes it will.

Mentioned in this post
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali Terrorism

Well, we're in Bali now, and registered with Smart Traveller. If there has been any increase in the "threat" level, they certainly haven't bothered to let me know about it. Therefore, I believe there has been no change to the warning level, not that it'd make any difference to my travel plans anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali Terrorism

You live in Manchester - the scene of the Ariana Grande concert killings. Are you worried about living in Manchester. I also remember the previous Manchester bombings (lived in the North West and was in Manchester a lot time of the Arndale bombing). Puts things into perspective.

Mentioned in this post
Le Grande Bali
Le Grande Bali
422 Reviews
Pecatu, Indonesia
Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali Terrorism

Hi! In Bali at moment, the only thing that is different at moment is the nightclubs like skygarden etc are all closing early like 3am. This wont affect you as you not staying in Kuta .

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Reply to: Bali Terrorism
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted