We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iphone and apps like Bluebird

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
iphone and apps like Bluebird

I plan to use my iphone when traveling to Bali in August and am a bit confused about how I go about doing this after reading the recent posts on SIM cards being blocked etc.

Not planning on using my phone for text or calls just for apps and the internet, whatsapp, is this. Whats the best way of doing this?

Also is there any other safe/reliable way of getting a Taxi say from restaurant back to Hotel in the evening if we are out and about given the amount of dodgy and fake drivers operating and taking advantage of tourists.

2 replies to this topic
australia
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: iphone and apps like Bluebird

Have the restaurant call you a taxi. There will be a minimum charge of IDR30,000 for this service. Personally, when hailing a taxi on the street I always ask "is your meter working?" and if not I move on as there are hundreds of taxis in the area and I've never had to end up walking "home".

Sorry, can't help with iPhone questions.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 09:42
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,988 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iphone and apps like Bluebird

You can get a SIM Card, but remember to get the person who sells it to register the card otherwise it won't work. You'll need your passport to register the card. I am not familiar with sim cards being blocked in iphones.

As above comment, you can ask the restaurant to call you a Blue Bird. Hotels often have Blue Bird taxis waiting nearby, if not, they will be familiar with calling the hotline to order one for you.

But I also think that the situation is not anywhere near as bad as you might think. We take Blue Bird's all the time in the street, there are a lot of fakes for certain, but you can usually tell that before you jump inside. And of course, any driver who has his windows open, plays music, smokes or asks for a fixed amount to take you somewhere, well, just get out of the taxi unless you feel the amount is reasonable.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 09:53
Reply to: iphone and apps like Bluebird
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted