We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
574 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Hi all! Looking for advice from people who have traveled to Bali with kids (we are coming with a 7 yr old). I noticed that booking sites will default to charging an extra $50 USD per night for a roll-away bed if you try to book for 2 adults and 1 child. Or even worse, force you to book 2 rooms. We travel with a blow up bed, so we don't need this, nor do we want to pay it, cause...well we're cheap! ;)

I saw many people on these forums suggesting that you just book the room for 2 adults only, but my question is, how do you handle breakfast for the little one then? In your experience do most places allow you to add on an extra per day breakfast cost once you arrive? Or pay à la carte?

If she was younger, I would just share my breakfast with her, but at this age if I share, I might starve!

I know each place can be different, and I will reach out to them directly once I have finalized where we'll be staying, but was looking for general guidance for now if you have any? Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
17 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

If you've booked with the 'stay free with existing bedding' as we have previously, we've never been charged an extra breakfast. I wouldn't book for 2 adults only personally as I wouldn't want to have an issue at checkin turning up with an additional person. In saying that we usually get the roller bed which not only includes the breakfast but a 'third' set of everything. I'm sure you could pay a child's rate for breakfast at the same rate as any other walk-in.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Hi

I'm presuming that child will not use any bed linen, hot water, towels , soap, drinking water or any other amenities that may be provided if you pay that fee for an extra person? Quite frankly, I don't think you will get away with it and why should you? Just pay for 2 adults and a child and you can then take your child to breakfast without trying to hide her.

Just my thoughts and I'm sure others will disagree with me.

Cheers

Edited: 11 May 2018, 15:25
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Totally agree with ilab. Pay the extra and enjoy your holiday. Your daughter is using the water and electricity that the hotel has to pay for therefore you should pay. Otherwise find somewhere cheaper to stay.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
574 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Thanks allatonce. The problem is, most of the "stay free with existing bedding" options are for 6 and under. I could input her age as 6, but that would kind of be the same as not including her in the booking at all right? Neither option is truly accurate.

ilab & Ian, I think you may have misunderstood. I am not trying to hide her. As I've stated, I will be checking with the specific accommodations (once I finalize them) to validate that it is ok to simply add on the cost of breakfast (or hot water, soap, & drinking water if they want), as I have no issues paying for the amenities that we will be using. I simply do not want to pay for a roll-away bed if I do not need it.

perth
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

If the room rate says kids stay free in existing bedding or similar they usually don’t charge for buffet breakfast for kids. Our kids are small though, I think once they turn 5 or so I’d be contacting hotel to confirm the rate for a child’s breakfast. Our last trip with a 2 year old we didn’t realise our rate was kids stay and eat free - when we went to settle the bill at the end we queried why there were no kids meals on the bill and they said all free with paying adults!

We are also cheapskates who will not be paying $50US for a rollaway bed, we will make our own arrangements. $50 is extortionate for a 4 year old, if it was more reasonable, say $25 per night I’d have no problems paying.

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Sorry but I agree with Ilab. I work in a resort and also own a B and B. It’s funny when guests say ‘ oh, I didn’t think it mattered ‘ , like they forgot they had a child ‘ but they don’t use much’. Yes they do. They use electricity, use the pool, use the shower by the pool 5 times. If 100 couples all bought an extra child with them, there’s an extra 100 people in the pool or hogging the sun lounges. At my work,it’s also a safety issue that we know exactly how many people are in the resort If others didn’t bring up blow up beds, then there children would be sleeping on the couches which isn’t too hygienic either. x

Orange County...
Level Contributor
574 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Yup. As I said. No problem paying for the amenities she will be using. And the facilities will be aware that she is there in advance.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,322 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Shugr, I would book for 2 adults and a child and pay for a roll out bed. The space then left in your luggage minus the blow up bed and linen, will allow you to buy a few more Balinese trinkets to take home.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,654 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Babycakes, I can't speak for ilab but I think she is on your page. I read her remarks as saying that the child (7 not 4 as mezperth mentioned) will be using all the electricity, water etc.

Shugr, if the hotel arrangements don't work out the way you need them to, there are many other hotels with perhaps lower budget that will suit you. And, yes, I often buy a breakfast ala carte, you can ask the hotel about that as well, as places may have different policies from each other.

Also, just out of curiousity, how much does that blow up bed weigh with all the linens and how much space does it take up? I did bring a bed topper to Bali once (for permanent use) and it took up quite a bit of my luggage allowance..I've been using it for years and love it but it was a big decision!)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Orange County...
Level Contributor
574 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?

Thanks Sue, but with three people, we’ve got a luggage allowance of 6 full sized suitcases. I don’t think space is gonna be an issue. 😉

Plus, with the $750 we save (15 nights @ $50/night) using the blow up bed, we can buy so many more trinkets!

Reply to: Breakfast for kids if you don't include them in booking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted