We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Uber actually illegal?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
46 reviews
Is Uber actually illegal?

Hi guys,

I will be in Bali soon and we planned on using Uber but we have read mixed reviews that Uber is illegal in Bali but still operate.

I have been on the Uber website and it lists Bali and Bali airport as a destination on their website so surely if its illegal, Uber would have removed it from their official website?

Can anybody confirm if Uber is illegal there or not

Thanks in advance

14 replies to this topic
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

Uber ceased operations, there is gojek and grabcar which are similar to uber

Both of them are banned in some areas like airport, ubud, canggu and so on.

The cost compared to using blue bird taxi is just a wee bit lower, it won’t put a hole in your wallet but you may be harassed by locals

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

I see and good to know, thanks very much for the reply

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

Best to a taxi or a local driver to avoid hassles.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
839 reviews
4. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

Uber was taken over by Grab. As in many countries there is opposition to Grab. As mentioned above, Grab seems to be banned from the airport, although some weeks ago there was actually a Grab stand that was opened outside the domestic terminal at the airport. However, latest reports shows that it has since been removed.

Blue Bird taxis are the best and very honest. You can download their App.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,314 posts
128 reviews
5. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

Just to mention, Blue Bird metered taxis do not have a base outside of the southern Bali area. For Ubud and areas further East and North we hire private drivers or sometimes use shuttles like Perama.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

Grab is most of Asia's version of Uber.

7. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2018, 23:52

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Grab sounds great but after reading some horror stories on the forum, we will probably stick to Blue Bird and we will hire a driver for the day to visit Ubud.

One last thing, which is the best way to go to hire a driver for the day? Would we just approach random taxis in Seminyak and ask for a quote?

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

I note most of the people who had issues with Grab in the past have been the ones trying to get Grab where they arent allowed such as the Airport.

I used Grab 4 times with no issues.

The locals use Grab often, thats why its flourishing. The fare is so low I felt embarassed, 50% tip, still much lower than bluebird... makes you wonder what the cut is for the bluebird company

Edited: 11 May 2018, 16:47
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,675 posts
206 reviews
10. Re: Is Uber actually illegal?

Hi,

There is also a Bluebird app which can be useful as identifying a Bluebird on the street can be tricky. Very many non Bluebird blue taksi will not use the meter and try to cheat you on the fare.

It better to get a driver from the TA list as they will have nicer cars than the taksi. Also the drivers will be used to day trips and you won’t have any problems in Ubud where even Bluebird are banned/not permitted to operate.

Cheers

Reply to: Is Uber actually illegal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted