We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why the noisy sports restaurants.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Why the noisy sports restaurants.

We have been going to Bali four times a year, for many years. the last couple of years we have been staying at Legian(which we will no longer do)and we notice that all the Restaurants now have multiple televisions,can anybody explain to me why the need for constant sport, surely, you go on holiday to get away from all the telly crap,yet you can't get a quiet meal in Legian, Is Bali going down the gurgler, can anyone explain.

23 replies to this topic
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

These places exist because lots of men enjoy watching football or other sports while having a beer even when on holiday. I used to visit one in Kuta called Stadium some years ago. I didn't care about watching sports but only about the food which was pretty decent and they'd deliver it to my hotel nearby.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

The fact that you don't want to see sports whilst on holidays doesn't mean that the masses who attend these venues don't either. They are obviously catering for those who do.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

This is especially true when there is an important match that you don't want to miss and you are a sports fan.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,833 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

It s one of the most regularly asked questions on this forum, ie where can I see 'such and such' game televised? So yes, they are definitely catering to customer requests...but personally, I avoid these places just as much as I do at home.

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

Sport is a big part of Aussie life so these places are popular. I can think of other reasons not visit that part of Bali but Sportsbars is not one.

Do yourself a favor and try other places next time.

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

Hi John. My boys spend A LOT of money on their footy memberships, they go to the games each week. So when we visit Bali for a few weeks each year, we seek out the places so we can watch the footy. I know it might be a little bit Bogan, but it's kinda fun, and very interesting people watching!!! I agree there seem to be loads more places now with TVS in them, but heaps still don't .

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,136 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

Although I agree with you John, i’m afraid that this is the way in the modern world in which we live. TV seems to be everywhere. The other day I was at the dentist and there was a big screen on the wall. I believe there is also one in the doctor’s waiting room. Have you ever noticed that there are heaps of them in airport departure lounges? Fortunately often on mute but people are still staring glaze eyed at them.

I don’t get a lot of it, but do understand why restaurant owners would have this, particularly for popular sports games as it brings the customers in. That’s why they do it.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 22:41
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
524 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

Doctor waiting rooms have televisions for background noise so others cannot overhear your personal information. They are usually on a closed loop to offer health promotional information to try to assist you.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,884 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

Well when we go on holiday my hubby doesn't like to shop. So I shop and he watches the footy. It's a very aussie thing to do and there are plenty of places to eat that don't have the tv. It's only on on a weekend too, not every day.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 14:59
Orange County...
Level Contributor
734 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why the noisy sports restaurants.

I have a doctor's office that plays "The Office" or "Parks and Recreation" on loop in the waiting room. It's pretty entertaining. ;)

Reply to: Why the noisy sports restaurants.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted