We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Topic
10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

My boyfriend and I are visiting Bali for the first time in September. We would love opinions on our current itinerary! We are young and love a good time, but we want our trip to be a combination of adventure, relaxing, and partying. Budget is not a huge issue, but we know Bali can be inexpensive if done right.

Seminyak Days 1-4:

We're hoping to do a little shopping, some sightseeing, and going out. On our list we have Pura Tanah Lot and Pura petitenget, shopping in Seminyak Square, going out at Potato Head and maybe Ku De Ta, La Favela, or Sky Garden down in Kuta. Any other must-see or must-do places in Seminyak? We're considering checking out Caangu(?) as well.

Ubud Days 4-7:

We want to do much more sightseeing and really get a feel for the "real Bali" and the culture. We also want to get a nice massage, do some yoga, and take a cooking class - recommendations would be great! On our sight seeing list we have Saraswati Temple, sunrise hike of Mt Batur, Pura Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, Tirta Empul, Tegenungan Waterfall, the Rice Fields, Monkey Forest, and Lempuyang Temple.

Gili T Days 7-8:

We would head out early in the morning from Ubud and then spend the full day to hang out on the beach and watch the sunset, do some partying, and head out the next morning. Figured its a small island and there's only so much you can do.

Days 8-10:

To end our trip, we want to relax and enjoy ourselves, maybe treat ourselves to a high end dinner. We want to go to Uluwatu Temple, Balangan Beach, Tegal Wangi beach, dreamland beach, and check out Single Fin.

If any of those places are overrated, or if there is a best time to see them, or if there's something we're totally missing I'd love to hear it! We are interested in snorkeling as well if there's a perfect beach for it that fits in with this itinerary.

We would also love opinions of where to eat, get a couples massage, cool shops, or just anything from past trips you feel like sharing.

Any info helps! We're really excited for our big getaway and want to make the most of it.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak Square
Seminyak Square
631 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
KU DE TA
KU DE TA
9,316 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
Sky Garden Bali
Sky Garden Bali
1,537 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Saraswati Temple
Saraswati Temple
1,345 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Mount Batur
Mount Batur
2,470 Reviews
Kintamani, Indonesia
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
247 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Tegenungan Waterfall
Tegenungan Waterfall
3,194 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Lempuyang Temple
Lempuyang Temple
455 Reviews
Abang, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Uluwatu Temple
Uluwatu Temple
8,705 Reviews
Pecatu, Indonesia
Balangan Beach
Balangan Beach
1,101 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Tegal Wangi Beach
Tegal Wangi Beach
167 Reviews
Jimbaran, Indonesia
10 replies to this topic
australia
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

Not quite sure how we can offer any more comprehensive help that has already been given, Aspen. This is your holiday, not ours, and sometimes it's the adventures of the unknown that is exciting.

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

True, it is our holiday, but if there is something we're totally missing out on or if something is overrated and not worth our time in the first place we want to know! It's our first big trip together and we're just hoping to get advice from those who have traveled frequently and pioneered the way for us.

Would you say those 4 places will provide a healthy mix of activity and relaxtion?

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

Do you have something in particular that you want to check out at Canggu because the traffic to and fro can be heavy? You can get a Bluebird cab there but for the return you have to use local transport and it can be quite a bit more expensive.

I think you should plan on 3 days to Gili T as one will be spent travelling. Alternatively, you might like to consider Nusa Lembongan.

Mentioned in this post
Canggu
Canggu
North Kuta, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Nusa Lembongan
Nusa Lembongan
Bali, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

4 different places in Bali plus going to Lombok/Gilis in 10 days is a lot IMHO. There are definitely areas in Bali that have good snorkeling, Amed, Padang Bai (one hour from Ubud) , and Nusa Penida (short boat ride from Bali).

Also when you are in Ubud I would include at least one night of watching the gamelan and dance performances at one of the 8 different village venues in Ubud. ( Ubud Palace is very crowded with bussed in tourists - try to avoid that one) .

Also when you say "the rice fields" do some looking around online to see which ones you want to see..there are so many all over Bali!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Padang Bai Beach Resort
Padang Bai Beach Resort
369 Reviews
Padangbai, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Nusa Penida
Nusa Penida
Bali, Indonesia
Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

I hadn't heard about the dances but that sounds fascinating! Thanks for the tip about avoiding the Palace because of course when I look it up, that's the first thing that comes up.

I was referring to the Tegallalang rice terraces as that is the picturesque one I see everywhere and looks breathtaking.

There is nothing specific in Canggu that we are dying to see, I've just heard the beaches might be more pleasant than in Seminyak.

Additionally, do any of you recommend getting a motorbike to use while we're there or should we stick to calling cabs or potentially hiring a driver

Mentioned in this post
Canggu
Canggu
North Kuta, Indonesia
Orange County...
Level Contributor
689 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

It seems like you only have 2 full days in Ubud, since your day 7 you say you are leaving very early in the morning, and day 4 you are transferring from Seminyak right? If so, I think you may find that you will not be able to accomplish all of the things that you have listed in this section in that amount of time. Especially considering the timing of the sunrise trek and the distance that Lempuyang is from Ubud (at least 2 hours each way).

Have you organized these sites and activities by day to see if they will really work?

As for a motorbike, I've only heard people mention how dangerous and deadly they are on here. This article from 2016 that speaks to the deaths of foreigners in motorcycle accidents on Bali may shed some light on it. At the time that it was written, there were 95 foreigner deaths in 2015, 49 deaths in 2014, and already 35 deaths in just the first three months of 2016. We all take risks every day of our lives, so you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to take this one. thejakartapost.com/news/2016/05/24/motorbike…

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

That's true, I guess I hadn't realized how far west Lempuyang was from Ubud. It sounds like a half day investment. Is it worth the drive and the time, more so than some of the other temples or the hike of Mt Batur would be? It does look gorgeous.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Mount Batur
Mount Batur
2,470 Reviews
Kintamani, Indonesia
Orange County...
Level Contributor
689 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

I haven't been, so I can't say for sure, but from what I have read of Pura Lempuyang Luhur, with your short amount of time in the area, I would skip it. My understanding is that the picturesque gate that you've probably drooled over is the very first one of many, so you would be driving quite a long way for a quick stop.

Oh, and it is east of Ubud, not west. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

Hi Aspen, I think you can make better use of your time with a bit of change. First I would forget Gili T altogether. Half day to get there and half day to get back is time you really have not got on a 10 day trip to Bali. My suggestion would be

Day 1-5 Ubud.

Take 1 full day tour starting off early and go straight to Pura Lempuyang. Amazing views. Then Tirta Gangga, Taman Ujung, Goa Lawah Bat Cave then Kesumba Salt Mine.

Take 1 full day tour Tegenungan Waterfall, Gunung Kawi, Tirta Empul and Goa Gajah.

Day 5 - 8 Seminyak.

Use a whole day to transfer from Ubud to Seminyak. Leave Ubud and go to Taman Ayun then Candi Kuning Spice Market, then Ulun Danau Bratan, then Jatiluwih Rice Terraces, Alas Kedaton Monkey Forest and then Tanah Lot for sunset. Then on to your accommodation in Seminyak. A long day but you have accomplished a lot.

Day 8-10 Somewhere on the Bukit Peninsular.

You still have free time in Ubud and Seminyak to do local sight-seeing, shopping, restaurants and night clubs.

Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Tirta Gangga
Tirta Gangga
2,642 Reviews
Karangasem, Indonesia
Bali Taman Beach Resort & Spa
Bali Taman Beach Resort...
107 Reviews
Anturan, Indonesia
Ujung Ubud Guest House
Ujung Ubud Guest House
112 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Tegenungan Waterfall
Tegenungan Waterfall
3,194 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
965 Reviews
Candidasa, Indonesia
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
247 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
Bukit Cafe
Bukit Cafe
828 Reviews
Pecatu, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!

Pura Lempuyang will be a fabulous first stop of the day, be sure to go early to beat the heat. Also, start working up your thighs for the climb. You will be able to combine that trip with a lot of other sightseeing, so IMHO it's not a waste of time at all. For much of the sightseeing, once you are away from the urbanized south there will be lots of beautiful lush landscapes, temples, and other things to see and do. ok..now that I've re-read your plan it looks like you have Lempuyang on the same day as Batur hiking...I would separate those days.

And I also would cut out the Gilis/Lombok from your trip with such a short stay. If all you want to do in the Gilis is watch the sunset and party, you can do that much better in Seminyak without having to spend so much in transport. Oops...sorry just realized I am repeating myself..thank you Old Age!

Mentioned in this post
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Reply to: 10 Day Itinerary - advice please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted