We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers and belongings/camera

London, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Drivers and belongings/camera

Hi everyone!

I will be visiting Bali in a few weeks. I have been debating about bringing my SLR camera - although it is not particularly valuable it is still precious to me!

I'm just wondering about hiring drivers for the day and leaving belongings in their cars? Is this normal? Are they trustworthy? For example if we go somewhere snorkelling or somewhere where there is water can we leave our valuables with them?

I'm guessing it's not safe to leave them on the beach when snorkelling etc?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
4 replies to this topic
Sans Souci...
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers and belongings/camera

Drivers do lock their vehicle & most are not far from them e.g sit chatting with other drivers or they will stay in their vehicle and nap/rest.

Never felt i could not trust our driver (we don't have a regular driver) or heard of a break in into a drivers vehicle (when they transport tourists to tourist sites/locations etc), mostly you read of travellers who have left e.g mobile phones, wallet, camera in taxi's.

I've not left valuables in a drivers car & if i did would 'hide' them as best i could (same as we are reminded to do at home e.g put in the boot) e.g tuck under seat/put on floor/cover with clothing/towel out of view rather than leave bag/camera on the seat.

Your driver will 'watch/hold' your belongings if you ask him to while you snorkel etc.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers and belongings/camera

The majority of drivers depend on tourists for their living, therefore it would be foolish of them to Steal your stuff. To choose a recommended driver from the forum have a look at

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

These are drivers used by regular Bali travelers including mine

Have a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
melbourne
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers and belongings/camera

We've never had a problem leaving stuff in a drivers car. Though I do take wallets, phones and passports with me in my bag. We've never really gone to a beach while with a driver, but I wouldn't have a problem leaving stuff if we did.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
779 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers and belongings/camera

I would make a point to tell the driver that you are leaving your camera in the car and ask him if it will be safe. That way it won't inadvertently disappear.

Reply to: Drivers and belongings/camera
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted