We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic villa for same sex couples

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Romantic villa for same sex couples

Just wondering if anyone could advise me on booking something special for my partner. Same sex couple, not fans of PDA (public display of affection) but would like to take the opportunity to maybe pop the question... I've read that Bali is mainly of Hindu beliefs but would never want to offend or cause any unwanted attention. Help!

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
142 reviews
1. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

You won't have a problem at all. My sister and her girlfriend travel all the time to bali and like you they are not huge in the PDA but have never had a problem 😊

But you forgot to include what area you are looking for a villa?

Edited: 09 May 2018, 09:09
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

Hi,

Thankyou for your reply. We've got a hotel in Kuta for 10 nights in Aug but I'm literally only just looking at areas now. My partner is normally the on who organises things so it'll throw her off if I suggest somewhere ha!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
142 reviews
3. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

Where is Notapigsty (TA member) when you need him as he gives great runs downs of each area!

So I'll give you my opinions of some areas:

Sanur- quiet, relaxing, lovely beach and restaurants. Good for massages and silver jewerelly shopping and also some local stalls with cheap merchandise. They also have a good night market with good cheap local food cooked fresh and caters for vegans also. Good for sunrises.

Kuta: busy, noisy, loud, full of Aussies larkikins who like to party. Good for cheap shopping and knock off items. They have a beer bike called bali bicycle tour where you sit on a side of a large bike style bar while it drives around Kuta and you get drunk 😂😂 Kuta is a place to go and see but pretty much once you been there you will want to adventure elsewhere! Good for sunsets.

Legian: just up the road from Kuta (next town) a little less crazy than Kuta but not much! Great eateries, shopping the same as Kuta almost and great beach bars where you sit on the beach on a bean bag while watching the sunset eating and listening to the live entertainment.

Seminyak: next town up from Legian. A touch upper class as in shopping and restaurants. You pay more for everything in seminyak! But it does have the best bars and restaurants and great for sunsets.

Canggu: next town up from seminyak. Becoming the 'in' place to be. Full of surfer dudes and yogis. Spread out town so not so easy to get around and taxis have their own area here so no bluebird allowed to pick up. I want there, I walked for ages and got lost and still couldn't find what everyone say they are looking for 😂

Ubud: spiritual town inland. Full of yoga studios, vegan eateries, healers etc. monkey forest is here but I can't stand those little buggers! Beautiful town Ubud. If you stay, stay near monkey forest rd, Bisma, hanoman rd so you are central ish! As many accommodation say they are in Ubud but they may be miles out of the town center.

Nusa Dua: gated community with resort style hotels and bus loads of tourists going in and out each day. I avoid this area!

They are many more places and also nearby island like Nusa Lembongan that you can venture too but it will really depend on what you are after?

Hope that helps!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,413 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

This is the link to the detailed Different Areas of Bali and What they Offer:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Also if you are looking for specific accom suggestions please do include your budget per night, and what kinds of things interest you.. You are staying in Kuta for 10 nights, how many nights do you have for the rest of your trip?

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
558 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

Did the Bali Bicycle Tour. Had a ball!! Felt like a movie star drivi g around waving to people. Pretty sure the taxi drivers hate it using up the road though.

Be prepared not to be able to stand when you get home. LOL

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

Rachel M thankyou very much for that. Amazing tips and advice! My partner is a teacher here in England which means we have to go when the schools are closed which means everything prices wise pretty much doubles so when we saw this hotel to bali, we snapped it up. We've heard a little about Kuta and Seminyak, we do like to party but once of twice. We really want to enjoy bali as much as possible and our hotel is a hub for us.

We've been looking at Gili islands for few couple of nights. Budget is limited but if it's worth paying & highly recommended then I'm willing to see what can be done.

We both have hectic jobs and it's a chilled holiday which we haven't had for over 3 years due to jobs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
142 reviews
7. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

Not a problem rutherfilth. TA people have helped me over the years so happy to help back 😊

As for Gilli's: I haven't actually been but it's about a 2 hour boat trip so you would definitely want to stay 3 nights or more. There are three islands. One chilled, one party and one more for families but I can't remember which is which so someone will help you hopefully! No taxis etc on the Gilli's islands. Pure horse and cart and then bicycles 😊

If you are limited in time I would do the Nusa lemonbogan trip as only a 30 min boat ride from Sanur. You can also do day trips from Kuta to go see other areas by hiring a driver and car for approx $50 AUD per day.

How long are you in bali for?

RE jenny, what a laugh that must have been!!!

Edited: 09 May 2018, 17:08
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

Hi rutherfilth

Personally I think 10 days in Kuta is too long, as Rachel M says it is the party area of Bali

If you’re looking for something more romantic I suggest you split your time and spend some in Ubud or Sanur

If your budget can manage look at a small villa I can recommend a couple of inexpensive ones

My partner and I visit Bali twice a year we have never experienced any problems with being same sex couple

Btw congrats

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Romantic villa for same sex couples

Oh wow, 2 hour boat trip?! We are looking at 3 nights on Gili islands, not sure which one. Prefer quiet one tbh.

I'd definitely be interested to know about the Villas. We booked the holiday as the deal was too good to miss so the hotel is more of a hub if we can't get anywhere else it's there as safety back up.

Reply to: Romantic villa for same sex couples
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted